Chains are not all alike!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I went and found a Stihl chain 23RCS72E
DSCN1154640x480.jpg

First we have 23RCS72E
Second 20LPX072
Next H30 072G
Last H23 072GX

I made cut with a H30 072G cut o.k. good chips! This was sharpened on saw.
Next I put on the 20LPX072 , New chain would expect a good cut! It cut pretty good, new chain hard to tell. I cut on the same two logs old oak, then a fresh oak, just to compere. Can this get any better??
So I put the 23RCS72E on my Husky 350, made the same two cuts!! Holly Crapp !!!!!! What a joy!
The 350 did good with the 18" bar. I can only imagine if this was a 3/8 " with a bigger saw!!
More Power ::-)
Now I can see why most have more than one saw!
No more safety chains for me! Stihl wins hands down!
Just my observations!
Thanks to all for the input!

Sean

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
When it comes to an out-of-the-box chain, nothing beats Stihl chain. Hands down, the best out of the box stuff out there.

Reactions: Nixon
I run mostly Stihl and Carlton loops. I have found Oregon cutters to be rather soft and they file real easy. Too easy?

Husqvarna chains are made by Oregon BTW, so you are comparing one Stihl to 3 Oregon chains here. ;)

Try Carlton (also rebranded as Woodsman Pro at Bailey's).

Reactions: Butcher
Big difference between box store chain & saw shop recommended chain.
Will be trying LPX & LGX next year. Almost used up a Stihl RS, it cut well.
Like you, for how & what I'm cutting now, I'll stick with the full chisel.

Have a couple safety chains if needed.
There are times when they are a good choice. Speed isn't always the most important feature ;)

The H30 chain (aka Oregoin 95VP) is expected to be slower than the other two because it's semi-chisel, narrow kerf chain. Nothing wrong with it--in fact, I like it when I need to make smooth controlled narrow kerf cuts.

The other two chains are the same pitch, but are full chisel, standard kerf, and expected to be more aggressive. Hand sharpen any one of the three and it will be better than new-in-box (NIB).

I only use Stihl chains myself. I had a Carlton and it is better than Oregon. I may try one of those Woodland Pro chains from Baileys one of these years to see how they are.

Big difference between box store chain & saw shop recommended chain.
Will be trying LPX & LGX next year. Almost used up a Stihl RS, it cut well.
Like you, for how & what I'm cutting now, I'll stick with the full chisel.

Have a couple safety chains if needed.
There are times when they are a good choice. Speed isn't always the most important feature ;)
So, when would you prefer the safety chain? Some time ago I took mine off and been using Stihl chisel ever since...not even sure where I put that safety chain.

So, when would you prefer the safety chain? Some time ago I took mine off and been using Stihl chisel ever since...not even sure where I put that safety chain.

I use one when pruning, topping trees around the house. When teaching saw use & letting others do some cutting.
Real dirty wood, stumps, junky wood etc. Not very often on the saw I use most of the time. Have one on the old Husqy 61, back up saw.

I have 2 - 20" skip (H47S I think ) chains that came with the saw. Tried one, didn't like it. The dealer was fond of skip chains.
He convinced me to get them with the new 359. Threw an extra in ""free"". Now back up chains. Doubt I'll use them.

I keep a couple old ones hanging on wall of shed for the occasional yardbird,old stump,any trees near barbed wire or chainlink fences. No sense ruining a brand new or freshly sharpened full chisel or skip tooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.