Chains for the Rhino

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Bought some chains from the rhino dealer two years back, never had to use them last year but with the early snow this year I'll put them on when working in the woods.

I hope on cutting back in on Saturday so if I do these will go on.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2241.jpg
    100_2241.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_2242.jpg
    100_2242.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 302
Zap, I will be interested to know if they make much of a difference. I got to get one of those Rhinos some day. Hard to convince my wife I need one when I bought a used pickup truck for less than one costs. How do you like it? I think the biggest problem with snow is the heigth of the snow. Once you get too much you do not have the clearance under the ATV/UTV. You might have to plow your way in like BS does.

Chains do make a difference,I was surprised how much more useful a 2 wheel drive pickup was after installing a pair.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Zap, I will be interested to know if they make much of a difference. I got to get one of those Rhinos some day. Hard to convince my wife I need one when I bought a used pickup truck for less than one costs. How do you like it? I think the biggest problem with snow is the heigth of the snow. Once you get too much you do not have the clearance under the ATV/UTV. You might have to plow your way in like BS does.

The first year (winter) with the Rhino without chains I stopped going back in once we received 20-24 inches of snow, with the chains 20-24 seems like 12-18 inches of snow.

I'll be making a new drag for pulling behind the rhino so I can knock down the snow on the trails if I need it.

zap

My dad had an 09 Rhino 700, and it was a BEAST in the woods. Far better than any other ATV (stock).
But he decided he didn't "need" it, and he quit riding with us. My whole family rides dirt bikes.

Anyhow, this hunting season I could have really used that thing to it's full potential....

We took it to two USNF trail systems here in NC, and it dominated pretty much everything.
The ground clearance is best in class, and as long as you are not a dumb@$$ you are not going to turn it on it's side.
That recall is like McDonald's recalling their coffee for being two hot.

Also, the Polaris RAZR is a fast POS. But, I hate Polaris....

How chains perform is also dependent upon where you buy them or who makes them. Zap bought from a dealer so his are probably the best. I bought a set of chains one time from Tractor Supply and they were not so good. They were lighter and the cross-links were spaced too far apart.

Good luck with those Zap. I'm hoping I don't need any. If the snow gets that deep I'm not so sure I want to be out cutting anyway.

Backwoods Savage said:
How chains perform is also dependent upon where you buy them or who makes them. Zap bought from a dealer so his are probably the best. I bought a set of chains one time from Tractor Supply and they were not so good. They were lighter and the cross-links were spaced too far apart.

Good luck with those Zap. I'm hoping I don't need any. If the snow gets that deep I'm not so sure I want to be out cutting anyway.

Sav these are not the best you can buy but the dealer did say if you can't get through the snow with these then you don't need to be back in woods. Just took the sticker off the other night and they cost $49.95.

Without these in deeper snow you can't drag the trail but with them it gives you the extra traction you need.

zap

Zap, that sounds like a decent price. Are they for all 4 wheels or two?

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, that sounds like a decent price. Are they for all 4 wheels or two?

Sav, just for the back two tires. Our Rhino dealer for some reason said not to put them on the front tires.

zap

Can't beat chains when it gets icy. Its a bummer when your wheels are spinning and you are not going anywhere. I couldn't believe how much difference it made on my tractor.

Billy

zapny said:
I'll be making a new drag for pulling behind the rhino so I can knock down the snow on the trails if I need it.

That would make a sweet cross country ski network.

Zap all you have to do is get a few cheapo cable pulleys from Harbor Freight. Elevate the tow end of the log an inch off the ground and you'll be a towing sumbasti...of coarse more is better.

For sure chains make a big difference. I remember when putting chains on car tires was big but that gradually went out of style when the road crews started doing a better job of plowing the roads.

I wonder why the dealer said no chains on the front? Seems to me that would just make things even better and I've seen lots of pictures with atv's having chains all the way around. I know for my old atv there were a few times I wished I had chains. I'll be curious how the big one does without them....if we ever get any snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.