Chains instead of spiral turbulator on eko 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weiland13

Jul 20, 2011
central wisconsin
Just got done with a deep cleaning of my heat exchanger tubes. Not too big of a pain but could be quicker and easier. The pain is the disassembly of the turbulator assembly. Has anyone removed the spiral turbulators and replaced with chain type? I know I would loose the lever cleaning function but cleaning tubes with my wire wheel/drill would be a breeze, even if I had to do it more often. What are your thoughts or concerns? Am I on crack?

I thought the same thing as you weiland13.
The hardest part of the whole job is getting the handle and shaft assembly out.
I thought about just leaving the shaft out and rigging up something to support the bar that the turbulators are fastened to.
Then to get the turbs out you would only have to pull the top acess cover off and pull them out.Much easier than dealing with the handle.
This post shows some pictures Huff so you have some kind of idea what parts come apart https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/88541/#1077290
I don't think the cleaning handle really does much cleaning anyway,the wire brush really does the job.

weiland13 said:
Has anyone removed the spiral turbulators and replaced with chain type

What I"m wondering. Would changing from Turbulators to chains change the performance of your boiler? This question is based on a observation of the operation of Jetstream boiler.
I clean the tubes roughly after burning a cord of wood. A period of 6 years had gone by without cleaning the turbulators themselves. After cleaning the turbulators, the magnet type thermometer on the flue pipe showed a drop of 25 degrees F. I had always thought that the turbulators just slowed the air flow and was surprised to see that cleaning them would make any difference.

Have added some pictures of cleaning the tubes. For the Jetstream, this is dirty. After the cleaning, the magnetic type thermometer would show a drop of 50 - 75 f .
Hope this info can be of some use to you.

Attachments

• IMGP3919.jpg
    IMGP3919.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 537
  • IMGP3930.jpg
    IMGP3930.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 484
  • IMGP3925.jpg
    IMGP3925.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 948
  • IMGP3933.jpg
    IMGP3933.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 749
Mr. Fixit,
My observation is the same as yours. I don't see much use in the lever system. I mean it does a fine job of slowing exhaust speed and therefore heat transfer, and it does clean somewhat. I am thinking I would rather deep clean with a brush possibly more often without the spirals, than less often but deal with the pain of the spirals. I think I am going to get some chain tomorrow. I am thinking of using 2 different sizes of chain. Lighter on the bottom 12" and heavier on the top 12". Maybe it will result in a more gradual and efficient heat transfer.

Huff,
You have to remove the top rear cover, then remove the 2 nuts on the heavy access cover. Remove the lever and also the screws that fasten the side sheetmetal on the lever side. Next you have to remove the 4 nuts and bolts that hold on the lever. I removed the 2 pins and clips on the top of the shaft mechanism. Remove the shaft. Now you can pull the turbulators out. I have an eko 40 so your process may be a bit different.

I'll be very interested to hear results- pulling turbulators for a deep clean is by far my least favorite aspect of my Econoburn.

As to the role of turbulators (including chains), it is not merely to slow flow- it is to break up the flow so that the gases that might otherwise go straight up the middle, with little contact with the tube walls, instead mix around with and contact the walls.

Seems like chains with the right shape/ pattern might work well- I keep wishing I could find some "twist" type chains- like you see on tire chains- that was the right diameter to go in my Econoburn's fire tubes

mr.fixit said:
T
I thought about just leaving the shaft out and rigging up something to support the bar that the turbulators are fastened to.

Two different ways.

Attachments

• IMGP3940.jpg
    IMGP3940.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 424
  • IMGP3944.jpg
    IMGP3944.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 475
  • IMGP3946.jpg
    IMGP3946.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 412
Status