chainsaw advice needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundeep Arole

Nov 18, 2005
Framingham, MA
I have decided to go ahead and shell out the cash for a new chain saw. I don't plan to do major tree felling, just basic pruning of trees in my yard and perhaps for bucking a few small logs I may scrounge from here and there. I have decided a electric model would suit my needs well, does anyone have a recommendation on some models I can look at?

My recomendations 3hp motor or more 14/16" bar. Get some bar oil a couple of filing files.
I bought my last one 2 years ago at Grossman's bargin outlet McColuch about $50 3 hp 16" bar
You have seen how much wood I cut with them. They last me about 3 plus years before I burn them out.
Home depot has a better one for $89 might be worth it. Sears has them. The best one I ever used was a Makita
14" but priced is double of the cheaper ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKITA-BRAND-NEW-14-115V-CHAINSAW-CHAIN-SAW-UC3500-WRT_W0Q

Some good recommendations and advice. I'm considering the McCullogh.

I have to first start out to say that I have absolutely no experience with electric chainsaws, but I was just thinking if you are looking to do any scrounging at all - how well could that work? I'm only asking because I don't know how effective they are... is it more of a noise issue where you are? Elk, I think you have mentioned the electric saw a few times, and I'm really just not sure how well they work (again... just because of no experience with them).

I'm just picturing having to drag a bunch of extension cord all around the yard to get anything done - It definately would not work here - just wondering what the final deciding factor is in the electric vs. gas chain saw decision - is it cost, noise, effectiveness or anything else I can't picture?

the Makita is a superior electric saw. I sure there are other good brand names. The one thing that works for me no iddeling between setting up and making more cuts pull the triger and instant power. take your finger off and it stops. It works for me and is best for intermitten use. Felling tres or remote locations get a gas saw. Even the cheapest gas saws cut faster than the cheap electric ones. Keep it sharp and it does the job. No noise no gas no hard starting $50 Pain in the a** remote use or felling large trees but decent for processing downed lengths. My setup includes a cord to my electric splitter so electricity is near by cut a little split a little.
Another plus is the light weight easy to control. I have used a 1950' ranger two man chainsaw 54 " bar believe me the light weight electic one is appreciated Even most remote cutting is done with ligh weight craftsmen/ poulans. Heavy duty cutting is done with 041 Stihl Farm boss. There is a huge difference tugging around a 10 lb saw and a 25lb one. When i remote cut I bring 2 or 3 saw 14 " 16" and 20" bar on the Stihl

BB great link.. Just about says it all comparing electric to gas chainsaws

Status
Not open for further replies.