Chainsaw Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shanenest

Oct 1, 2008
MA
I process about 5-6 cord a year & have been using a Echo CS-345 (16" bar). I have done this for the past 3 years & the Echo works but it has a hard time with some of the bigger logs. Been thinking of upgrading for a while now & I have an opportunity to get one of the HD Rental saws, Makita DCS6421. Seems that many of you like the Stilhl saws for weight to power ratio. The biggest logs I work with are 18-20". What do you guys think?

The makita saws are very nice. From a rental perspective its all about condition and price. I've had good luck with a Stihl MS 290 with an 18" bar. Not too big or too small. Good for medium to larger logs I get. I also have a smaller limbing saw. IMO, buying used is the way to go.

Those 64xx saws are one of the all time greats for firewood production especially if a one saw plan is in place. A 20" bar with a sharp chain will put a smile on your face.

Get the Makita if it's in good shape and you get a price your happy with. They're great saws. Just keep that Echo around for lighter stuff, the Makita is a little large and heavy for limbing IMO. Also, dump the chain HD sells with it and get something a little better. When I got mine it had safety chain, I only used it for 5 minutes before shutting it off and ordering a couple new loops.

If you can get a Makita 6421 in good condition do it. You won't be sorry.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys. Ended up getting it for $255. Seems to be in good shape. Looking forward to the weekend!
ugh, ive been searching off and on for years and nobody has them around me. You go out and find a good looking one for $255? Lucky!

Reactions: Wildo
Now spend $200 more for the 79cc p&c and you'll have screaming banshee on your hands.

Reactions: TreePointer
Now spend $200 more for the 79cc p&c and you'll have screaming banshee on your hands.

I just ordered the 79cc kit 2 nights ago along with a 28" bar and chain. I can't wait to install it!

I too just scored a 6421 from HD. Mine was 275$ with a second new chain and a new scabbard.

It was hard to pass up the deal even though my wood is processed for the year.

Attachments

• saw.JPG
    saw.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: jeff_t and Danno77
I too just scored a 6421 from HD. Mine was 275$ with a second new chain and a new scabbard.

It was hard to pass up the deal even though my wood is processed for the year.

How do you get these from HD? I've never seen one there and they don't list them on-line that I've seen.

you gotta ask back in the rental dept.

How do you get these from HD? I've never seen one there and they don't list them on-line that I've seen.

I walked up to the rental counter and almost tripped over it setting there on the ground with a 275$ tag hanging from it. It was beside another tool also used and for sale. I picked it up by the pull start cord and it didn't drop at all, great compression. Can't wait to test it out. I would love to do a 79+ cc conversion, hd air cleaner, and 24" bar but that stuff would cost more than the whole saw and the dang thing is like new.

use it till it breaks, THEN get the kit.

Reactions: D8Chumley and Jags
Thanks for the info.The HD near me doesn't have a rental dept. I found one that does and I'll check it out.

Reactions: Danno77
Yeah, I'm not saying I'd wait. CAD has a way of making us take the leap "just because"...

Home depot must be unloading these now, one of the stores around me had a couple listed on craigslist yesterday.

I bought my 6401 three years ago for $194+tax. It was two years old, rented 37 times, straight gassed, rebuilt, and rented twice after that. It had been marked down twice. I don't know why nobody wanted it.

I wish I could kill it so I could have another 7900, but it is perfect. I ditched the HD branded bar and chitty chain for a new 20" Oregon b&c, and use it all the time.

That is VERY nice. Get rid of the cat muffler.

I just ordered the 79cc kit 2 nights ago along with a 28" bar and chain. I can't wait to install it!

28" bar is perfect. It could definitely pull more, but the oiler is getting near its limit. I love mine. Even bigger grins with an 8 pin and 20" bar.

I keep a 24" bar on my 79cc version. The large bucking spikes take up some length, so it's effectively a 22-ish inch bar.

Last edited:
28" bar is perfect. It could definitely pull more, but the oiler is getting near its limit. I love mine. Even bigger grins with an 8 pin and 20" bar.

The 8 pin sounds tempting! I fully intend on leaving a 20" bar on mine 90% of the time, I just got the 28" for those few time I'll need/want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.