Chainsaw advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Husky's at Lowe's are not top of the line husky's, it's their cheap model. There are some threads on here that give some great advice for husky, stihl, and dolmar chainsaws, along with a few off brands (john deer), just search for chainsaws. My personal opinion is that you will regret buying a husky from lowes, instead of from a dealer.

I second what Mike says. Also, if you are getting a load of logs, then that size saw is to small. That is a 37 cc saw. I would recommend a MINIMUM of a 50 cc engine size.
Al

If you are buying husky from Lowes then go ahead and buy the 455 rancher. if 20" is too long of a bar for you then you can always put a smaller bar on it. it is not a pro saw but it is a mid grade.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look around a little more. Seems a bigger one is needed for a tri-axle load? 20" should be big enough? How big of motor is minimum for average logs? I hope the load I get doesn't have any huge logs.

I agree that you're gonna want at least 50cc for cutting up that much wood.
A 20" bar is probably longer than you'll need/want but you'll definitely want more motor than 37cc.
My 50cc pulls 18" fine but I think 16" would really fly through the wood and be more nimble to handle.
If you're not gonna buy your saw from a good dealer then I hope you are somewhat mechanically inclined.
Any saw you buy will likely be set lean at the factory. If you just gas it and go, especially if your gas has ethanol in it,
there's a chance it'll burn up. Sure, the box store will (hopefully) warranty it but you don't want the hassle.
If you can tune a carb. and recognize a lean-running saw you may be fine buying the 455 from a box store.

I run a 56 1/2 cc engine with a 16 inch bar. I like it much better than my fathers 43cc engine with an 18" bar. It cuts better and is easier to keep the tip out of the dirt.

It happens to be a 290. I figured if I ever decide to slice up a log that I can't hit from both sides with the 16 I can always buy the 20" that is available.

Matt

Big Cube, are you experienced at running a chainsaw? Get one that isn't so heavy that your arms will wear out in a few minutes. Bigger isn't necessarily better, and carrying a chaiinsaw around with aching arms is a recipe for danger. I'd think that around 50 cc with a 15 or 16 inch bar and chain would be fine. You can always cut from one side then step over and finish the cut.

I looked at the Husky Rancher 455 before I bought my MS290. I personally like the 290 better.

Many years ago I used my dad's saw so I have some experience. I went with the Stihl MS290 with a 16" bar. Got to play with it this afternoon.

mike1234 said:
Husky's at Lowe's are not top of the line husky's, it's their cheap model. There are some threads on here that give some great advice for husky, stihl, and dolmar chainsaws, along with a few off brands (john deer), just search for chainsaws. My personal opinion is that you will regret buying a husky from lowes, instead of from a dealer.

can't get any better than that.good advice

People can run their necks about the Farm Boss all they like, but seems like I hear nothing but good from actual 290 owners. Ya done good.

The only thing I can say about mine is it has a smaller air filter than the saw I used before. It clogged a bit quicker than I figured it would have and gave me a hard start. Now that I know about it I know to clean it. Obviously not an issue with the saw, but one with me.

Matt

I've used the 346xp and 357xp saws. They are both very nice. I went with the MS290 on the recommendation of my local Stihl dealer. I've yet to get into any wood that has left me disappointed with it and I really doubt that I will. I cut up a lot of yellow birch, hard maple, and ironwood this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.