Chainsaw Bar Oil Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am cutting with a Husky Rancher, and I have noticed over the past several trips out that the saw runs out of gas, and when refilling, the bar and chain oil reservoir is still almost completely full. It is an automatic oiler, and there is no "button" to push to send the oil to the chain. I drained the reservoir and took off the chain and bar. I unplugged the hole/oil port in the bar and made sure that there was no debris in the "slit" that the oil supposedly comes through in the saw. I put the saw back together again and tried it...same problem. I took it apart again, and this time used an air compressor to blow out the oil slit in the case that there was still debris wedged in there. I put it back together. I am still having the same problem.

Does anyone know how to how to remedy this problem? I can't find any reason that the oil would not be making it to the chain, but yet, it is not. Suggestions please....

Air compressor on bar and oil ports on bar then blow the crap out of that saw every Noak and cranky........spent a lot of time on this! Make it look like new....Set choke before blowing the carb out and extra ation to air filter! :cheese:

Does the saw have an adjustable oiler? If so you may locate it and open it full. Most STIHL saws do and I run them full open. I am unsure about the HUSKY products though.... :-/

It does have an adjustable oiler. There are 3 settings, and I had it set on 2. I opened it fully, so I'll see how it does next time out. I will also clean the entire saw in the meantime. I won't be cutting today though...heat index of 115 expected in Western PA.

Does oil come out of the slit in the block-off plate on the saw when it's running without the bar on it? If not, remove the plate to see if sawdust is impacted in there and blow it all out like SJ says, but it may also be a problem with the oil pump itself.

Here's a link to the IPL for that saw if it helps:

http://weborder.husqvarna.com/order_static/doc/usa/2005/I05000/I0501036.pdf

Check the bar. It might sound simple, but directly "across" from the oiling "slit" is the hole in the bar. Make sure that it, and the groove along the edge of the bar area clean and clear. If you recently flipped the bar over, the other side hole is usually plugged.

Good luck,

Bill

trumpeterb said:
I am cutting with a Husky Rancher, and I have noticed over the past several trips out that the saw runs out of gas, and when refilling, the bar and chain oil reservoir is still almost completely full. It is an automatic oiler, and there is no "button" to push to send the oil to the chain. I drained the reservoir and took off the chain and bar. I unplugged the hole/oil port in the bar and made sure that there was no debris in the "slit" that the oil supposedly comes through in the saw. I put the saw back together again and tried it...same problem. I took it apart again, and this time used an air compressor to blow out the oil slit in the case that there was still debris wedged in there. I put it back together. I am still having the same problem.

Does anyone know how to how to remedy this problem? I can't find any reason that the oil would not be making it to the chain, but yet, it is not. Suggestions please....

Does the Husky have a filter in the reservoir, if so you might want to check that also.

zap

Are you by any chance using biodegradable chain oil?

I have recently and will NEVER AGAIN. Sitting for just a few months it became congealed -- the oiler on my nearly new Makita 6400 is shot and I'm looking at a $300 or so repair bill. Hopefully this is not the case on you machine.

Not to highjack the thread, but have others had similar experience with biodegradable chain oil?

EngineRep said:

I have recently and will NEVER AGAIN. Sitting for just a few months it became congealed -- the oiler on my nearly new Makita 6400 is shot and I'm looking at a $300 or so repair bill. Hopefully this is not the case on you machine.

Not to highjack the thread, but have others had similar experience with biodegradable chain oil?

My biodegradable oil is cheap veggie oil. No issues with it.

Veggie oil. I think that's the right answer. I used this stuff.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=01122&catID=9927

At the amount I cut -- a few cords a year -- I didn't mind the price ($18.99 a gallon) and ordered it with the Makita saw.

Now I probably have 5 or 10 hours on the saw and I'm looking at a $300 repair.

EngineRep said:

I use straight canola oil in all my saws. It's cheap, easily available anywhere, doesn't pollute the environment or your lungs (any more than frying food in it does), and it lubricates very well. In fact, I turned the oilers down all the way on my saws and the bar and chain always stays nice and cool. Never had a problem with it congealing, but I have heard one story (don't know if it's true or not) that it can build up and harden on your cooling fins if you don't clean the saw regularly. I'll never know, I clean all my saws with compressed air after each session. That practice is good for the whole saw anyway.

trumpeterb said:
It does have an adjustable oiler. There are 3 settings, and I had it set on 2. I opened it fully, so I'll see how it does next time out. I will also clean the entire saw in the meantime. I won't be cutting today though...heat index of 115 expected in Western PA.

Crank the setting to +1 from center (Max). Then if you throttle up close to pavement or asphalt, the oil should show on the ground. My 455 is turned up and when I re-fuel, I have to fill the Oil as it has very little in ther. Tanks run about the same. I would rather to much, than to little.

Like others have said, clean and blow that thing out. Try running without the bar, so you can see better.

Well, I disassembled the chainsaw yesterday and was able to get to the oil pump. I pulled it and all hoses, etc. out. I blew them all out with the air compressor, and I cleaned all mechanisms in the same manner. It did look new when I was done. I could not see anything that would lead me to believe that the pump was bad, but it was VERY dirty and covered in fine dust and oil. Perhaps one of the oil ports or hoses was clogged. I reassembled the saw, and the chain is now oiling correctly.

I did, however, create a bigger problem for myself in this process. I used the "rope trick" in order to get the clutch assembly off the saw. After I did all of this, I unfortunately realized that the rope got stuck in the cylinder. I could not get it out no matter what I tried. As it ended up, I had to remove the rope starter assembly and force the flywheel the opposite direction, and I was finally able to get the piston to move and release the rope. Talk about frustrated...I thought that I was going to end up in the repair shop for sure. Luckily, it all worked out, the saw is back together, and all is working as it should. I certainly learned a lot about my saw just by taking it apart...that was the first time I had ever had to disassemble it.

NCPABill said:
Check the bar. It might sound simple, but directly "across" from the oiling "slit" is the hole in the bar. Make sure that it, and the groove along the edge of the bar area clean and clear. If you recently flipped the bar over, the other side hole is usually plugged.

Good luck,

Bill

I would look at that as well.

Adios Pantalones said:
NCPABill said:

Good luck,

Bill

I would look at that as well.

I did check this as well. I cleaned out the bar before I did anything else. Even with a clean bar it wasn't oiling. All is ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.