Chainsaw bogging down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I've got an ancient Stihl S10 that runs really well and cuts great. However, lately as I'm working through a log it start to bog down when I get about half way through. It gets to the point where the chain stops circulating. I back it out, throttle it, and start again. It runs hard and fast when it's not cutting. I just got the chain back from being sharpened so it's not a dull chain.

I wondering if it's a dirt carb or air filter issue. What's the experts think?

Thanks,
fv

If it's not just a simple thing like adjusting the carb or changing/cleaning the air filter, you might want to have the saw's compression checked. It may just be worn out, needing some new rings on the piston.

It could be a couple of different things. Running out of fuel (leaning out) is possible. Air infiltration. Clogged air or fuel filter, cracked fuel line, etc.

Reactions: CrufflerJJ
The saw is probably about 45-50 years old, so there's no telling what's worn/broken.

The saw is probably about 45-50 years old, so there's no telling what's worn/broken.

I did have it checked out a couple of years ago and it got a clean bill of health. Yes, I am thinking about buying a new, lighter saw. This thing is like lifting a brick.

fv

My 075 was doing the same thing, ended up being the screws(under the air filter) that hold the carb to the engine came loose, plus the gasket was cracked, cut a new one from that cork gasket material and runs like a champ.

Reactions: fireview2788
Don't forget to check the spark arrestor. I check for bad gas, air filter, plugged or dirty spark screen then compression.

Reactions: fireview2788
Try a simple compression test. Switch in OFF position. Hold starter handle with saw at waist level. Let go of saw. Does it go? Lug.........Lug.........Lug........Lug = good. or Lug..Lug..Lug..Lug = bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.