Chainsaw chains....snapping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the rigors that the chains sees during its lifetime. Has anyone experienced a chain actually breaking? Whats the possibility?

When you bend a bar obviously the chain also bends. When bent back ( the chain) and run it you can almost always count on it breaking where it was bent. I have used literally 1000"s of feet of chain and as far as I can remember this is the only time I've had one break.

Been using various chainsaws for 19 years - never had a chain break. Cut about 10 cords of firewood/year, plus trees for lumber. I keep my chains sharp, maybe that helps.

I've had a chain break. Don't really know why. It was worn - the shop wouldn't sharpen it any more (I usually hand sharpen with every tank but occasionally get a shop sharpen) but it had a mm or so to the wear line. I always wear gloves and a helmet with ear muffs and a pull down mesh visor, plus my prescription glasses, so plenty of PPE, but gave me a shock anyway.

I don't quite understand the previous post about bending the bar - do you mean pinching the bar? Twisting it? Or actually bending it, like if it was in a cut (and off) and you pushed against it sideways - so then when using it and looking along the bar it looks like my golf shot (hook or slice)?

Been cutting since 70's and never ever had a chain break...and that would include my junk chains I use to cut down the stumps below ground level.

never had one break, but like any chain it can be done

I've had one break - it was a cheapo Home Depot "Power Care" chain on my Pull-on, which has a habbit of throwing chains if you look at it funny. It is quite possible that it broke at a point where it had been tweaked in a previous throwing incident, but all I can say for sure is that one of the rivets sheared, I ended up with a single side plate on each end of the chain.

Not a big issue though, as the "chain catcher" did what it was supposed to do - I didn't realize the chain was broken till I got the saw back to my workspace and started trying to put it back on...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.