Chainsaw chains

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crs7200

Oct 17, 2008
Which do you have happen first to stop your chains frm becoming usable any longer?

Do your cutters become to worn to sharpen or does your chain become too stretched to adjust?

I am curious because mine become stretched before the cutters wear.

I have the chains tensioned correctly so I would like feedback as to what the rest of you encounter.

Attachments

• chainsawguy.gif
    chainsawguy.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 496
Take a link out if the chains still good. Usually pro shops or neighborhood guys will do that for you. Some guys get their own chain breaker re-spinner.

I always run out of cutter first. I'm guessing you have two links too many to start with.

crs7300 said:
Which do you have happen first to stop your chains frm becoming usable any longer?

Do your cutters become to worn to sharpen or does your chain become too stretched to adjust?

I am curious because mine become stretched before the cutters wear.

I have the chains tensioned correctly so I would like feedback as to what the rest of you encounter.

I wear out the cutters.

If your sprocket on the saw is worn it will cause the chain to stretch prematurely.

check your sprocket.if oil tank is 1/2 full when gas tank empty.....not good. improper oil supply,leads to stretch.

That actually depends on the saw and the chain your are using along with the type of wood. For example my 372 XP uses a little over 1/2 tank oil to 1 tank gas and I've never had bar or chain wear problems.

Now being somewhat of a skeptic, I ordered two loops of 28RC from Baileys. Well today I put one to the test on my Husky 51. I was cutting Mesquite. Nothing over 12 inches but to cut to the chase for the price this chain is well worth it.I put two tanks through the saw, and the chips just kept on a cumming. I never did completely bury the bar (16 B/C) but I am most impressed with this chain for the price. Ken

My saw is very frugal with oil. I only used half of a gallon to buck up 12 cord but don't have unusual wear.

On a new chain, if there were two fewer links, would it be too short to put on the bar? The last bar and two loops of chain I bought, the chains were too long and I had them take out two links.

Status
Not open for further replies.