Chainsaw chaps or Cant Hook...easy choice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Well, I was going to think about buying a cant hook the other day while walking through TSC. They had one on the shelf that I had not seen on their website with a nice wood handle and log lifter. Something told me to just wait, so I put it back down and left empty handed. Since then, I have read a couple posts here on close calls with the chainsaw and it made me start thinking that chaps would be a better use of money. Since I am the type of person that doesn't like to wait for stuff to ship, I see that TSC does have a pair in their store http://www.tractorsupply.com/husqvarna-reg-protective-chaps-3908972.

Anybody have any experience with these? I did see that Bailey's has a sale on another pair http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=132+GRN+RG&catID;=

What I don't understand is that for all the tree services that I have seen over the years, I have never seen any of them wearing chaps!?! For what the cost of workmen's comp is, I would think these companies would require this.

Most guys on a tree service never even use a saw.

smokinjay said:

So true... my supplier can cut, split and deliver about 8 cords a day. He never touches the wood.

smokinjay said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something hear. How would a guy in the tree service take down a tree without a saw? dynamite? All the tree service guys that I know carry several chain saws of various sizes with them at all times! I must be missing something hear... Pat

One cutter and a bunch of grunts I guess. Good choice on the chaps.

curber said:
smokinjay said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something hear. How would a guy in the tree service take down a tree without a saw? dynamite?

I would gladly pay extra if so.

Re: chaps- I can only say that the guys in my neck of the woods are always in chaps. Saw shirts, not so much, though.

The arborist with the chainsaw at my cabin put on his chaps before he touched the saw.

So, then does anyone own either pair of these chaps? I would think that so long as they meet the OSHA standards, either one would be fine. Just wondering how well they hold up through the years.

I don't currently own chainsaw chaps or pants. I've been thinking more about safety lately. It's easy to think how safe I am but after the boo boo, I'll be wishing that I had bought a pair. Right now, I'm leaning toward the full wrap or pants styles, such as these:

Attachments

• Safety Pants Chaps (baileysonline.com).jpg
    Safety Pants Chaps (baileysonline.com).jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 557
It's so funny that you should post this. I've been looking for a cant hook for about a year now. My parents acually gave me money for my birthday to put toward a Peavey brand cant hook, but I decided to spend it on chaps instead. (My parents are cool with that - especially my mom) I agonized over the quandry for a long time, though, before finally deciding to go for the chaps. I'm thinking Labonville full wrap.......

curber said:
smokinjay said:

Forgive me if I'm missing something hear. How would a guy in the tree service take down a tree without a saw? dynamite? All the tree service guys that I know carry several chain saws of various sizes with them at all times! I must be missing something hear... Pat

I would almost PAY to see someone take a tree down with DyNoMite!!!

As others have said, only guy with a running saw is in the bucket. I know I'd rather be the only guy running a saw. I hate having to around for people or pets when I'm running stuff like a tractor or a chainsaw.

Damn! Someone get us some video of that dynomite tree service!!

So here's a question...of course it's just good safety to have a pair of chaps when running a chainsaw because you just don't know what can happen and in most cases we are all working in less than perfect conditions when cutting. Well, being a firefighter, we run chainsaws and trust me, it is NEVER being done in the best place; mostly on a wet, crappy roof while wearing another 40lbs of equipment, etc, etc...so then how come our bunker pants aren't rated for chainsaw protection???!!!

Update...picked up a pair of the Husqvarna apron chaps tonight from TSC. Got home and tried them on...going back in the am. 38" is just a shy short and now feel that a pair of full wrap would be worth the extra $20 and greater protection. Really sucks cuz I am going to be bucking a load of logs this weekend.

Well, the wife gave me an early Christmas gift...told me to go to our local Stihl dealer and purchase the chaps I wanted! After reading many posts here on Hearth and spending a couple hours online at Baileys and other sites, it made sense to spend my money close to home and support the local guy. Once you figure in shipping and stuff, it ends up being a few dollars cheaper and easier if there's a problem.

Got the Stihl 40" apron chaps w/6 ply. Fit really well and I was impressed they have three straps down the leg so when it pulled tight, it seems to provide good protection to most of the leg and calf. Another thing I liked was that they can be washed. When reading about some of the other brands, you could only hand wash them; these have specific instructions to wash prior to first use and then after each use from then on. Pretty nice! Hopefully I never find out how well they work, but now that I have a pair, I really fell crazy for not having them sooner.

I have the Stihl chaps. They are great for keeping your legs warm in the winter. They are reasonably comfortable and it is still pretty easy getting on and off the tractor.

RPK1

Status
Not open for further replies.