1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chainsaw comparson

Post in 'The Gear' started by mtarbert, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Can someone tell me how a Stihl MS 310 compares with an 029.....I have a 310 and a friend has an 029 for sale both have 18"bars
    Thanks,
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. computeruser

computeruser Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    East Lansing, MI
    In my hands there is very little difference between the two saws in real-world use. Slight adavntage goes to the 310 on paper, but that advantage can easily be overcome by a good chain. Both saws respond very well to having their mufflers opened up a bit.
  3. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks for the responce....when I had them side by side I didn"t see much diffrence either.
    Mike
  4. hornett22

hornett22 New Member

Loc:
    Glastonbury,CT
    you won't see much difference.both good saws though.
  5. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Is it hard to open up the muffers. Retune the saw seemed to be the hard part. I have a MS310 and a Dolmar 5100 and have thought about doing the mod.

Paul
  6. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    ...One thing I will say about a Stihl...once you get it "dialed in just right" and take reasonably good care of it...it will run like a dream. A finely tuned Stihl "never gets can-tankerous". Husky??? Well I'm gonna leave that one alone...

I like the "old Stihls" personally...not that they are any better...just liked the old "O" designations..029,031(had one got stolen off the truck), 036 (my 'favorite' saw),044 (someday...lol)

I just recently passed up a deal at the 'local' saw shop (overlook services)... a 'trade in' MS 460 (044??) brand new bar ran like a champ (after they got done with it)...even had a heated grip... Just didn't have $400 bucks 'burning a hole in my pocket' that day... ;)
  7. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    I have the Husky 345 16" saw......$228 brand new a few years ago (saw, scabbard and 2 chains)...not much more $ now to get it.......great saw!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.