Chainsaw comparson

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
Can someone tell me how a Stihl MS 310 compares with an 029.....I have a 310 and a friend has an 029 for sale both have 18"bars
Thanks,
Mike

In my hands there is very little difference between the two saws in real-world use. Slight adavntage goes to the 310 on paper, but that advantage can easily be overcome by a good chain. Both saws respond very well to having their mufflers opened up a bit.

you won't see much difference.both good saws though.

Is it hard to open up the muffers. Retune the saw seemed to be the hard part. I have a MS310 and a Dolmar 5100 and have thought about doing the mod.

Paul

...One thing I will say about a Stihl...once you get it "dialed in just right" and take reasonably good care of it...it will run like a dream. A finely tuned Stihl "never gets can-tankerous". Husky??? Well I'm gonna leave that one alone...

I like the "old Stihls" personally...not that they are any better...just liked the old "O" designations..029,031(had one got stolen off the truck), 036 (my 'favorite' saw),044 (someday...lol)

I just recently passed up a deal at the 'local' saw shop (overlook services)... a 'trade in' MS 460 (044??) brand new bar ran like a champ (after they got done with it)...even had a heated grip... Just didn't have $400 bucks 'burning a hole in my pocket' that day... ;)

keyman512us said:
...One thing I will say about a Stihl...once you get it "dialed in just right" and take reasonably good care of it...it will run like a dream. A finely tuned Stihl "never gets can-tankerous". Husky??? Well I'm gonna leave that one alone...
)

I have the Husky 345 16" saw......$228 brand new a few years ago (saw, scabbard and 2 chains)...not much more $ now to get it.......great saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.