Chainsaw decisions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Researcher1

Nov 8, 2011
Pittsburgh PA
Last night I purchased a very good condition ms460 for a good price. Now I have an ms261 16 inch, ms390 18 inch, ms440 20 inch and ms460 25 inch. I am thinking about selling one of them, although I may not sell any of them. I think the ms390 is the odd man out due to the weight comparison between it and the 440. My only consideration is I bought it very cheap and I don't mind just tossing/leaving it in the truck in case I run into some wood in my daily schedule. I wouldn't do this with any of the other saws. But are the 440 and 460 close enough where I can just keep which one I like best. I could turn a profit from what I paid on any of the 3 larger saws. Any thoughts or ideas. I don't need all the saws, but can you ever have enough anyway?

I'm not much help on tis. One saw is enough for me!

If you have overlap in power/ability, it would make sense to me to sell one just so you have less to maintain/store? I don't typically buy orown stuff I'm not using or needing to have. I know, pretty lame I guess. :(

Last night I purchased a very good condition ms460 for a good price. I could turn a profit from what I paid on any of the 3 larger saws. Any thoughts or ideas. I don't need all the saws, but can you ever have enough anyway?

Another thought... sounds like you are pretty ggod at finding buys and enjoy having a variety - maybe you should sell one so you have the cash to buy the next deal. A little sideline hobby that you enjoy and might make ya a buck or two!

I would say sell the 440 out of your group, since its close to your 460. You can get some good $ for it if its in nice shape.

I have had everyone of those saws but the 440. jmo I would grab that 460 and run it.

You may find yourself using the 460 for everything.
I have used in the past year, 026,361,041,041super (second favorite),046MAG. The only one I use for cutting is the 046MAG and it puts a smile on my face every time. I do have a 36cc Echo linesman saw for tree trimming.

Keep everything but the 440.Dont sell the 460 unless you're starving lol.

I guess I'm the guy with the worse case of recent CAD on here, but its only because I had a hoard of old ammo to trade. There is something about ammunition to many guys, it makes many weak in the knees begging you to trade some for their saw. ;) I just picked up 2 more 031AVs today. I've "basicly" got all your saws, and then some. To me, your odd saw out is the 390. Your 440 easily covers that slot. I would sell the 390, you can probably do just about everything you need with the 261 & 440, using the 460 for really serious stuff. Then you can keep your eye open for a nice used 361/360/036 saw to better cover the middle. Of course if you'd like a 250 or 031AV, I think I know a guy who might have one to sell. ::-) Some time down the road, I can see myself getting down to the two 026, 360, 440, and 460. My "friends" here say it will never happen..........................

I'd sell the 390 , it's the odd one out in your line up . Keep the 440 with an eye to selling it later as the demand goes up for that saw . Then get a 362 ,and have the perfect line up of saws ....

Reactions: amateur cutter
I'd sell the 390 , it's the odd one out in your line up . Keep the 440 with an eye to selling it later as the demand goes up for that saw . Then get a 362 ,and have the perfect line up of saws ....

Agree with Nixon & Boog, Dump the 390, look at 036/362 size saw to run the 18" on, then maybe sell the 440 & look at 066/660 for when you really want some power. Then maybe an 075/090 just to have one, then you'll need a 372XP to compare to the 460, by then you'll be broke & behind on your mortgage so you can join the CAD 12 step group that we need to start a separate forum for here._g A C

Agree with Nixon & Boog, Dump the 390, look at 036/362 size saw to run the 18" on, then maybe sell the 440 & look at 066/660 for when you really want some power. Then maybe an 075/090 just to have one, then you'll need a 372XP to compare to the 460, by then you'll be broke & behind on your mortgage so you can join the CAD 12 step group that we need to start a separate forum for here._g A C

I have 11 now ............................... does that mean I can get one more before I'm in serious trouble needing intervention?

Reactions: amateur cutter
I have 11 now ............................... does that mean I can get one more before I'm in serious trouble needing intervention?

Too many more and we get to tie you up with safety chain until the Craigslist market stabilizes again. :oops:

Reactions: Boog
Last night I purchased a very good condition ms460 for a good price. Now I have an ms261 16 inch, ms390 18 inch, ms440 20 inch and ms460 25 inch. I am thinking about selling one of them, although I may not sell any of them. I think the ms390 is the odd man out due to the weight comparison between it and the 440. My only consideration is I bought it very cheap and I don't mind just tossing/leaving it in the truck in case I run into some wood in my daily schedule. I wouldn't do this with any of the other saws. But are the 440 and 460 close enough where I can just keep which one I like best. I could turn a profit from what I paid on any of the 3 larger saws. Any thoughts or ideas. I don't need all the saws, but can you ever have enough anyway?

Sell the 390 for sure (as it has very little to offer you now), maybe the 460 for a profit as they are currently a money-maker. Pick up an 064/066/MS660 and keep the 440/20" in the truck. (get a case for it if it's too pretty, ;) )

The 390 is the obvious choice to sell. Then mod the 440 with a 460 PD muffler cover and sell the 460. They are that close (I sold my 460 after modifying my 044). The 440 will have the same power and be easier to run, but if you like the 460 more then sell the 440. You could get a 361 to replace the 390 if you want a better 60cc saw, or go long with a 660 if you need to cut bigger stuff.

Sell 2! Sell the 390 and the 440.

Reactions: smokinj
I am not really in any hurry to get rid of anything so I am going to run them all over the next few weeks and see how I feel after that. thanks for the responses.

Since you live east of the Rockies, no. ;) But put a 28" on both of those saws and the difference will become much more apparent.

Is the ms460 overkill for a 20 inch bar? That is what I have on the 440 and I really like the way it runs.

440/460 both greate saws. The 460 has like 7 more cc's Its enough to feel a diffrance but dont sure that the 460 would beat it on a 4+ hour run.

Is the ms460 overkill for a 20 inch bar? That is what I have on the 440 and I really like the way it runs.

Yes!

Put Canuk 460 dual port muffler covers on them both and wake those saws up. Easiest dual port upgrade in the world and they will run better, run cooler, last longer, and have more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.