Chainsaw directions? What does this mean?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have a couple chainsaws. Just bought a Husqvarna 490.
The directions say to 'Remove spark plug lead' for when adjusting chain tension..._g
1.png

What are they talking about? Dont you just turn the tension adjuster until the chain is tight? What does the spark plug have to do with anything?
:eek:

Safety overkill. Assuming someone could possibly turn the chain, with the ignition switch on, and potentially start the saw via using the chain to turn the motor over under perfect circumstances.

Never heard of anyone starting a saw that way, but I could see it happening under the most ideal of circumstances if everything went right (wrong)

Safety overkill. Assuming someone could possibly turn the chain, with the ignition switch on, and potentially start the saw via using the chain to turn the motor over under perfect circumstances.

Never heard of anyone starting a saw that way, but I could see it happening under the most ideal of circumstances if everything went right (wrong)
Only way that could happen is if the clutch was seized.

Only way that could happen is if the clutch was seized.

Yup. One of those circumstances. Lawyers had their input on the manual I'm betting.

Reactions: Jotel me this
My lawnmower has the same thing in the manual for doing pretty much any maintenance. It's the lawyers making sure you can't start the engine.

My lawnmower has the same thing in the manual for doing pretty much any maintenance. It's the lawyers making sure you can't start the engine.

But the opposing lawyers would still find a way to file a suit.
I would like to see lawsuits run like a poker game, If you want to sue for a million than a million dollars will change hands. If your case holds merit you get the million, if you are wasting every ones time THEY get the million. Now how good is your case?

Reactions: rowerwet
Maybe there is a potential for carbon to ignite within the cylinder.

Definitely a safety thing. It’s the same reason that nearly every repair in a car repair manual starts by telling you to first remove the negative battery cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk