Chainsaw education

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bluedogz said:
You guys could be having this conversation in Korean for all I'm getting out of it...

Smaller the chain the better things can happen. Now you still got to be safe! .043 is proven so use it your saw will work less, last longer, cut faster, and better fuel miliage. :cheese:

bluedogz said:
Bigg_Redd said:
bluedogz said:
So I'm getting ready to drop more money on a new chainsaw than I think I've spent on all previous chainsaws combined.

Folks here recommended using a "narrow kerf .043" chain; I've also seen references here to "skip tooth" chain and other references that make no sense to me.

Any resources to learn a bit more for a chainsaw rookie? Even Google isn't much help...

I wouldn't worry about the kerf if you're buying from an established and reputable dealer. The saw will be set up properly and ready to run. If you're buying on line, well, good luck. Even then I don't think kerf is that big 'o deal.

I definitely recommend skip tooth chains. Having cut many many hours with full comp and skip tooth chains I can say with no uncertainty whatsoever that there is no time penalty in the cut for running one, and there's half the teeth to file.

Redd, this thrad will give some background: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81203/

Great.. but what does that MEAN? WTF is a kerf? What is a skip tooth, and why? What does .043' measure, in my reference?

Kerf = the width of the cut. More kerf means more wood turned into chip.

Skip tooth = a cutter every other link instead of every link.

.043 is probably your kerf.

Again, I wouldn't worry about kerf. The saw will come with the right bar and chain.

bluedogz said:
You guys could be having this conversation in Korean for all I'm getting out of it...

Sorry to get kinda off topic. I'll stick with my original recomendation, get what comes with the saw. If you don't like it you know you can upgrade.

Or, get both in different bar lengths and you'll have the best of both worlds.

You guys find the nicest ways to say, "Dude, you're thinking way too much."

I mill logs and have a chain sharpening business. Its what I do! ;-) Keeping the saw from working any harder than it has to is very very key! Works on the cross cut to. :cheese:
(Few 1000 drive links a week.)

smokinjay said:
I mill logs and have a chain sharpening business. Its what I do! ;-) Keeping the saw from working any harder than it has to is very very key! Works on the cross cut to. :cheese:

Wow. :zip: :zip:

kettensäge said:
sm said:

Wow. :zip: :zip:

Thats more than most do in a 3 years. If you want to use more fuel work your saw harder and cut slower, use the bigger chain. I would kill for a smaller kerf.......Anyone who mills know this all to well. Its ok run what you want not trying to convince you, you have already made up your mind
880 is running 3/8... If the 043 would not snap under 122cc's It would be on there! Use the shortest bar and smallest kerf you can get by with.....

No joke jay! Im considering a 18" or 16" for my dual port 460. I can always change the bar back if i need to fell a large tree or come to a log that is large diameter.

oilstinks said:
No joke jay! Im considering a 18" or 16" for my dual port 460. I can always change the bar back if i need to fell a large tree or come to a log that is large diameter.

I have ran 16 inch on my 460. 28 got stuck. I darn sure didnt buy a 460 with a 16inch in mind either. However it is a blast and run a 20 inch anytime I can. Thats not very often though.Look on the stihl sight and you will see the recominded bar size for an 880 is 21 inch's! If I was running 3/8 chain with a 16 inch Ideally it would be a 260/361....Forgot I sold that one! lol 192t/180 30cc with the 043 is a pretty slick light weight set-up and really works well with the 460. Stick a 16 inch bar and wider kerf and it would stay at the shop.
Running the 16 on the 460 was very weird and throw chips like a mad dog!
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS880.html ;-)

First deal has been done, and I have now done the magic of turning a Smith & Wesson 65-6 into a Stihl MS192TC-E.

Stihl shop has a tester unit for me to play with Monday. Props to the Stihl rep for driving it up from VA just for me.

bluedogz said:
First deal has been done, and I have now done the magic of turning a Smith & Wesson 65-6 into a Stihl MS192TC-E.

Stihl shop has a tester unit for me to play with Monday. Props to the Stihl rep for driving it up from VA just for me.
Awesome. Definitely keep us posted on how it works for you.

Danno77 said:
bluedogz said:

SWEEEEEEEEEEt!

Awesome! Thanks Ford!

Posted to the wrong thread..

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
bluedogz said:

SWEEEEEEEEEEt!

Back home with my MS192TC (not a TC-E... dealer says they're the same?)

I love love love this saw... I can control it, it doesn't vibrate AT ALL, and it cuts FAST. Got a 14" bar, low profile chain.

I can start it with two fingers. No wrestling with the cord.

Anybody want a Homelite 14" electric saw?

bluedogz said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
bluedogz said:

SWEEEEEEEEEEt!

Back home with my MS192TC (not a TC-E... dealer says they're the same?)

I love love love this saw... I can control it, it doesn't vibrate AT ALL, and it cuts FAST. Got a 14" bar, low profile chain.

I can start it with two fingers. No wrestling with the cord.

Anybody want a Homelite 14" electric saw?

Nice.......I knew you would love it! Be safe and take your time at first. oh and stay below the waist with chaps on!

Glad you got a great saw and are happy with it! I cut with my top handle this past weekend..... they are pretty slick.

Success! Congrats and may your cutting days be long, comfortable, and safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.