Chainsaw for Newbie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all, It is not that I am looking for power as much as reliability. This is why I am almost considering the little stihl ms170. I am not in a hurry a want to be a speed cutter but I just want a saw I know will make it through years without any issues except for occasional maintenance like plugs and filters.

What kind of warranty does stihl give you? Also, that little saw is so lite weight, it will be so nice on my back when cutting.

After all, if the ms 170 can support a 16 inch bar then I can really cut up to about a 30 inch diameter tree with it. This is good enough for me and what I do. Then, for my craftsman and poulans, I will use them when I need a larger tree which is not that often.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, as long as I am not using up all of the bar can I use my 18" bar and chain on the 170. Dont, get me wrong this will slow it down. But, I have only 14" bars and chains and 18" bars and chains just how I roll. I think the 14" will do okay but I would like to have the 18" bar on the saw in case I am just short with the 14" bar.

Sounds like you got it figured out.:)

What parts do the Poulan and Craftsman need? Carb cleaning/rebuild? Can you repair yourself? If a saw shop repair bill is required - probably be more than the saw is worth. 42cc/18" Poulans or Homelites can be had for ~$100. Check prices at vminnovations.

I found an almost rand new ms250 for $250. It looked like it was never used. The guy I bought it from on CL said he still had the original gas in it. He was 70 and just decided it was too much to keep bucking wood. He threw in his 271 for $275, and I couldn't say no. The 271 is a 55cc ranch saw. The 250 is a 45cc homeowners. But, being stihls, they are beasts. Look around CL for bargains. You can't go wrong with a stihl. Also, the 291 is a great saw. My dad has one. But I believe they run close to $450. Stihls do run a bit long in the wallet, but they last forever.

If you want a 170 it'll do you fine IF you respect it's limitations which it doesn't sound like you realize

It will NOT pull an 18" bar well, and maybe not at all after it overheats from lack of oil. I have a 16" on mine and it does fine of you take your time. It certainly won't be blazing through 24"+ trees but it can do it if you're in a pinch. It works best in smaller wood so if you can pick and choose what you can take it'll be fine. I can't, so I ended up getting an ms291 for the big stuff

You may also consider an ms250 if you want to run an 18" bar

If you want a pro saw great, they're awesome to use. But you certainly don't need a pro saw to cut 6 cords a year. If you can swing it they'll make your cutting experience a little better but Ive found my 170 and 291 to be perfectly capable and fine pieces of equipment

Also, if you're wanting to put your poulan 18" bars on the 170, I doubt they're compatible but I'll defer to someone more experienced than I for that issue

After you get your quality saw, you'll only be using a 42cc Poulan/Craftsman saw as backup. You might as well sell one on CL and put that money toward your Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc.

I'm with razerface on this one. If you are only cutting wood to burn occasionally any saw will do. If your main heat source is wood and you have to cut that wood to feed the beast, you want equipment that will get the job done as quick and easily as possible.

Reactions: TreePointer
I just broke down and bought a Stihl ms271. Love the Stihl saws got great power for under 400. But you want a great deal wait til season is over and get on Craigslist you'll find it. I burnt up a 35 cc saw this year and a 42 cc echo . Get a good one it'll be there when you need it.

The Stihl MS 251 can be had around here for $325 brand new. It's a 45cc saw, and it's a nice one. It'll more than handle 6 cords per year, and I'd be very surprised if you ever had to mess with parts or tuning for a long time. Sharpen the chain, blow out the air filter often and you wont be messing with fixing instead of cutting. My time is very precious, so I NEED my stuff to work. I'm not a saw mechanic, so if I NEVER have to work on my saw...awesome! I'm in it to cut wood not tinker with finicky saws.

A quick reality check to consider when pondering homeowner vs professional. The lines are really blurred. Stihl doesn't make anything sub-par. Their "homeowner" saws are typically smaller, with features geared toward someone who doesn't cut all the time like easy start, quick chain tensioning, etc. This doesn't make them any less durable. The biggest difference used to be anti-vibration mounting on the pro saws, but now Stihl puts this on all their models. A smaller homeowner can be pressed into service by a "pro" and do quite well for a very long time. It may not be the most efficient tool they can use, when time is money but again the tool will perform and wont blow up into a parts explosion. My main saw is a pro grade Stihl 460 magnum which is a very powerful saw...I got it to help speed up my cutting when dealing with huge oak, beech, and black gum logs. I ran a 290 for years before getting my bigger saw, and it did a good job just not as quickly as my large saw. What I'm getting at here is...don't let the label "home owner" get you nervous when looking at Stihl saws. It's a label to help guide the user of the saw to the right model based on size and features, not at all indicative of quality or ability.

For to agree with all that I had a 290& 039 cut hundreds of ricks wither when I sold firewood and sold both . Guy is still runnin the guts out of them. Proof is in the pudding

My Stihl 260 pro is 13 years old. 2 to 3 cords a year and haven't done anything except sparkplug and air filter. As far as I can tell it has the same power as it did new. I love quality, reliable products and this saw is that.

I bought a brand new ms 290 with an 18" bar...alittle on the heavy side but it just plain eats...u can pick up one on CL in good shape for bout $250..of course an rs chain helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.