Chainsaw gas octane, what do you really need ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had good luck using the blue Sta-bil (marine stuff.) Didn't own my Stihl long enough to say but work like a cvharm in my mowers and weedeaters.

With the ethanol fuel do you guys still have issues with fuel lines freezing up? My tractor that has a snowblower on it seems to collect a fair amount of moisture in the fuel and end up freezing in the float bowl of carb. Since adding in a splash of methanol with every fill I haven't had any trouble.

A friend of mine hauls gas/diesel for the refinery here. They have to "dip" test all station tanks for water before every fill.
He's told me that since this area has gone to ethanol that there is little to no water in station tanks now vs. before.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Here in Iowa where corn is king I dont think you can find gas that dosnt have some ethonal in it, even premium at the pump unless you want to go dickin around airports buying gas. The main problem with ethonal is some folks try to keep it in storage at home in these cheap gas cans we are forced to buy anymore. All my stuff is old. Motercycles, tractors, 2 stroke stuff. I have never had a fuel related issue in anything unless the tank was empty. Everyone thinks ethonal eats up fuel lines in 2 stroke equipment. I say B.S. I'll bet I could put a chunk of fuel line in some of the highest, purest fuel you can buy and eventually it would rot the line. Could be a cheapening of mfg practices???

Book say at least 87 octane. That's our " regular " octane rating at the pump.
no ethanol in the gas here.
So I use regular gas. synthetic 2 cycle oil.
I try to keep a fresh mix. mix a gallon at a time
( and I'm a oil bottle rinser, some gas in the bottle, shake it to get it all ;) )

Well ! I guess I will have to find out who is selling what kind of gas , around here, It's suppose to say the, ethanol % , on the pump, isn't it ??

I was told that all gas stations in MI are now 10% ethanol, like it or not. I have not checked further on this so can not say for certain.

My Stihl manual says a minimum octane rating of 89. I used to always just use regular but have switched to the higher octane. I can't tell much difference in how it runs. I also use Stabil with every tank of gas.

Book say at least 87 octane. That's our " regular " octane rating at the pump.
no ethanol in the gas here.
So I use regular gas. synthetic 2 cycle oil.
I try to keep a fresh mix. mix a gallon at a time
( and I'm a oil bottle rinser, some gas in the bottle, shake it to get it all ;) )

Yup I do the same.Been using 10% ethanol in everything for around 10 yrs now,no problems of any kind with any equipment or my truck.If any of the saws arent gonna be used for 3-4 weeks,I dump the fuel back into gallon can.Takes just a few seconds to refill if I have some cutting to do for myself or someone else.

Just to be clear . . . I try to go with the recommended fuel octane by the manufacturer . . .

Yes - sorry I didn't mean to muddy the water with my earlier post. I would definitely run at least the minimum octane rating specified by the mfr. Less octane could cause detonation, more octane doesn't really gain you anything unless you have hopped the engine up beyond the OEM configuration.

91 Octane, no ethanol now that I have found a place in Denver that does it.

Seems to make a bigger difference with the splitter.

With the ethanol fuel do you guys still have issues with fuel lines freezing up? My tractor that has a snowblower on it seems to collect a fair amount of moisture in the fuel and end up freezing in the float bowl of carb. Since adding in a splash of methanol with every fill I haven't had any trouble.

Nate, I had my Canyon freeze up in 11 deg weather a few years back. I think I picked up a bad batch of fuel then, no other freezing issues to date and it has gotten much colder since.

(ie, it’s basically like adding some HEET to each tank, as HEET is just overpriced alcohol, too)

Heet is isopropanol (Rubbing alcohol without the added water). Much easier on the fuel system than Nate's methanol. ;)

Depends on the bottle. The yellow one is methanol, the red bottle is isopropanol.

Heet is isopropanol (Rubbing alcohol without the added water). Much easier on the fuel system than Nate's methanol. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.