Chainsaw has trouble under load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Haven't used my Craftsman chainsaw since September. Took it out to grab some storm-downed trees.

It started fine, but would die when I hit the gas. After an hour with many attempts I finally got it going, but it didn't have it's usual power.

Cleaning the air filter didn't help. Spark plug was pretty dirty, so I'll get a new one and see if that fixes things.

Any thoughts?

This is the first time it let me down. Somebody else will probably get the wood that I didn't cut.

Old fuel is always a possibility. Have you changed your fuel filter? Most don't and its a common cause of power troubles. I do not know about Craftsman but Huskys have there fuel filter in the gas tank. Its on a fuel line that you just pull out and exchange the filter on the end. Good bet this will fix it.

All other things being equal, I'm guessing your fuel went bad.

I would think either fuel filter or spark plug. Most 2 stroke mix contains stabilizer and back to september is not that long of a time. Also might need to adjust high and low mixers.

I agree that it's probably a bad gas issue. Most of the saws we get in suffer from this. If a tank of fresh gas and a new spark plug and fuel filter don't cure it, it's time to look for holes in the fuel line or air leaks.

The oil mix had stabilizer in it, and had been bought mixed in September.

But let's say the fuel is bad, what do I do with the 1.5 gallons of fuel? I can't put it in the car, and I don't have any other small engines around here.

Save it. It comes in handy for cleaning things. Paint brushes, greasy hands etc.....

You can run that fuel through your car. A small amount like that won't hurt anything when it mixes with the rest of the gas in your tank. I've done it plenty of times.

Well, I replaced the plug, and now it runs fine.

Here's the old plug. Does it look fouled to you?

Attachments

• SparkPlug 006.jpg
    SparkPlug 006.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 360
Status
Not open for further replies.