Chainsaw Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeterb

Jul 15, 2009
Western PA
I am by no means a small engine mechanic, and I need some help. I was cutting the other day, and went through about 4 tanks of gas. I filled the saw from the same gas can of gas/oil mix each time, so the mix should have been the same. The first three tanks were fine. I noticed, however, that on the last tank of gas, blueish smoke was coming out of the muffler. It got worse as I went, and by the end, smoke was really pouring out. I ran the saw again today, and the smoke was there from the start. The saw runs fine, no stalling or anything like that. I know that a mix too heavy in oil may cause this, but the mix is the same as the first three tanks I used that day. Any ideas what would cause this?

I shake up the can every time I fill-up....Sounds like the oil settled towards the last part of the mix. Also blow out your air-filter to make sure your getting good air flow as well.

And then, does your chain-oiler work normally?
Some use crankcase pressure variations, through a check valve, to pressurize oil tank. If check valve fails, guess what gets sucked into crankcase.
It's always a help if you tell us the model & year, up front.
Definitely, always shake the mix before each pour.

It is a Husqvarna Rancher 455. I believe it is a 2009 model. The oiler is working now...it was not working normally about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't getting any oil to the chain at all. I took the saw apart, removed the oil pump, and used the air compressor to blow everything out and clean the unit. I put it back together again, and it oils normally now. Hopefully I didn't do any damage by blowing out the oiling system.

Agreed on the mix "settling" in your storage can. What oil are you using? I've never had quality mix oil settle out on me. If the mix is settling on you that means your first 3 tanks could have been a "lean" mix and that's not good either. I'd toss your current batch and mix fresh. Dump the saw tank and fill it up with fresh mix and see if the smoke clears.

Status
Not open for further replies.