Chainsaw jackets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I've considered getting a chainsaw protection jacket and just got a promotion from TSC (amazing, eh?!!!) for 10% off on online purchases. Well, just to see what a Husky jacket would cost me I checked it out...it listed for $99 and figuring the 10% off would bring in down around $90 plus shipping/handling. To keep everybody honest I went to Bailey's website and their Husky jacket is $112.09 plus shipping but they don't charge tax...still a bit cheaper if purchased online from TSC. I've got a pair of Husqvarna full wrap chaps and like them a lot so I figure the jacket might be good, also.

Then I got to looking at the pictures. There's something different between the two jackets that I can't put my finger on. There's obviously a label or two that are different (size, care tags). A biggie is that the TSC version has one more button on the front than the Bailey's version does...???? But still, there seems to be something (from the pictures) that is different between them.

Anyhow, anybody ever had the occasion to see the two versions side-by-side? (figure the odds, eh?)

Anybody got a recommendation that won't break my piggybank? :)

Thanks,
Ed

"Human skin, properly tanned and seasoned, is superior to kevlar." hope this helps- Sincerely, Leatherface. (and cheap if you're careful)

Honestly I have to ask, what are you cutting that requires a protection jacket? I always thought they were for guys up in a tree, or on a boom doing some sort of limbing, one-handed.

If you need a chainsaw jacket, you are needlessly putting yourself in a position of danger. Try cutting while standing offset to the left a little, that way if the saw kicks back for some reason you are out of line with the kerf.

HittinSteel said:
If you need a chainsaw jacket, you are needlessly putting yourself in a position of danger. Try cutting while standing offset to the left a little, that way if the saw kicks back for some reason you are out of line with the kerf.

If your cutting on a big yard tree with lots of limbs these are your best protection. Other than that I am with you! I have one and it get used a couple times a year and with a 192t in the soup!

Well, I haven't definitely signed on to getting a jacket but I'm still thinking about it. One reason is that I'm older and don't bounce nearly as well as I use to. Another reason is that I basically cut 99.99% of the time by myself with nobody around (remote clear-cuts, private woodland property). While yet another reason is what Jay alluded to...congested cutting environment...I've got three oaks that I could go to right now that are downed. These are edge of field/middle of field trees that aren't the straight-trunked forest trees that you walk the length of the tree slicing rounds off with a smaller top to deal with...basically these are all tops.

I've got Husky full-wrap chaps, steel-toe boots, hearing protection, and wear prescription glasses. Head gear with face shield is on the agenda and the jacket is the item that is last in line.

As for being safe, I definitely focus on that (and thus my interest in a jacket) for, among others, the reasons I stated above. I've used a saw off and on for the last 35 years or so and have stayed in one piece. Now that I'll be burning wood this coming winter and I'm working on getting a few years ahead on my wood I feel that my safety consciousness and preparedness needs to kick up a notch or two being as I'm putting in a lot more time with my saws...and I've got grandbabies I want to see grow up.

Anyhow, I thought I'd inquire whether anyone had any suggestions or had actually compared Baileys and TSC's jackets. Thanks for the replies.

Ed

Intheswamp said:
Well, I haven't definitely signed on to getting a jacket but I'm still thinking about it. One reason is that I'm older and don't bounce nearly as well as I use to. Another reason is that I basically cut 99.99% of the time by myself with nobody around (remote clear-cuts, private woodland property). While yet another reason is what Jay alluded to...congested cutting environment...I've got three oaks that I could go to right now that are downed. These are edge of field/middle of field trees that aren't the straight-trunked forest trees that you walk the length of the tree slicing rounds off with a smaller top to deal with...basically these are all tops.

I've got Husky full-wrap chaps, steel-toe boots, hearing protection, and wear prescription glasses. Head gear with face shield is on the agenda and the jacket is the item that is last in line.

As for being safe, I definitely focus on that (and thus my interest in a jacket) for, among others, the reasons I stated above. I've used a saw off and on for the last 35 years or so and have stayed in one piece. Now that I'll be burning wood this coming winter and I'm working on getting a few years ahead on my wood I feel that my safety consciousness and preparedness needs to kick up a notch or two being as I'm putting in a lot more time with my saws...and I've got grandbabies I want to see grow up.

Anyhow, I thought I'd inquire whether anyone had any suggestions or had actually compared Baileys and TSC's jackets. Thanks for the replies.

Ed

When you get into a congested area like than and muiti targets every where at chest high and higher it is very important to have one. I get more kick back in this setting then any other cutting!

I bought mine used and paid about 80 percent of new so they hold there value quite well.

I'm partial to this chainsaw jacket.

Attachments

• !cid__0428112049-1.jpg
    !cid__0428112049-1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 401
fishingpol said:
I'm partial to this chainsaw jacket.

Looks like its getting in the way!

Thats sweet! Where did you find that ad? That's a late seris IIa '69 or series III '70-'73 land rover.
The girl's nice too.

Is there a chainsaw in the picture .............I better take another look!!!!

That pic is from a Stihl Calendar that the dealer gave me when I bought my saw. It's funny how the products are in the background and not the primary focus. But who cares? Calendar must be 10 years old. I just can't throw it out for some reason.

fishingpol said:
That pic is from a Stihl Calendar that the dealer gave me when I bought my saw. It's funny how the products are in the background and not the primary focus. But who cares? Calendar must be 10 years old. I just can't throw it out for some reason.

Have some Snap-on calenders like that as well still hanging on the wall in the work room!!!!

nice headlights uhmm I mean old Land Rover.

Status
Not open for further replies.