Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Might look at the woodland pros. Better review and much cheaper as well.

Made by Carlton?

Not sure who makes it. Thought woodland pro was there own company. (not sure though) All there chain is pretty good. Milling chain Its as good as the stihl chain I have.

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Out of pm's Zap.... :coolsmirk: 3/8 0.50. cutters are at 10 degrees, rakers you will want to get more aggressive each time you file. Not sure on the drive links on a 36inch bar. My 41 is 135.

3/8 0.050 I think you mean... or that is one monster chassis on that chain. Probably need two men just to pick up the bar. ;-P

How many drive links in a 36 inch bar? Zap trying to get his mill set-up.

My Poulan 475 has 115 links on 36" chain,.063gauge.I believe Husky 288XP,395XP & 3120XP with same bar has same number of links.I know that their factory bars fit my 475 & vice versa.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Out of pm's Zap.... :coolsmirk: 3/8 0.50. cutters are at 10 degrees, rakers you will want to get more aggressive each time you file. Not sure on the drive links on a 36inch bar. My 41 is 135.

3/8 0.050 I think you mean... or that is one monster chassis on that chain. Probably need two men just to pick up the bar. ;-P

My Poulan 475 has 115 links on 36" chain,.063gauge.I believe Husky 288XP,395XP & 3120XP with same bar has same number of links.I know that their factory bars fit my 475 & vice versa.

What are the different ways you can identify a ripping chain.

Zap

zapny said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

Zap

When I first got started years ago I had local shop (where I bought my saws & other stuff) make me a few loops. He started with regular full chisel,removed every 3rd tooth to make it a skip tooth & ground the remaining ones at 10 degrees to the same specs that Will recommends in his book.

;-P
Thistle said:
zapny said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay" date="1306434898 said:

Zap

When I first got started years ago I had local shop (where I bought my saws & other stuff) make me a few loops. He started with regular full chisel,removed every 3rd tooth to make it a skip tooth & ground the remaining ones at 10 degrees to the same specs that Will recommends in his book.

Much cheaper to get a woodland. Oh how about a rs full chisel 41inch? Non skipper. Zap the easiest the way I can tell is the angel on the cutter its self it really shows up.

smokinjay said:
Much cheaper to get a woodland. Oh how about a rs full chisel 41inch? Non skipper. Zap the easiest the way I can tell is the angel on the cutter its self it really shows up.

Yup. In mid 90's when I bought these first ones before internet only place I knew of who sold ripping chain was direct from Granberg themselves.And they cost more than local guy charged.I prefer to buy local whenever I can,but he's quite expensive now,quoted me 35 cents a link for LP070G Full Chisel last December,he dont even stock loops anymore.

Got them at Baileys in April for 24" Skip & 36" Skip for $24 & $30 each with postage,respectively.Local guy was more than that 15 yrs ago!! :bug:

Gonna order another ripping chain next,my 2 oldest ones are about toast now.I have ripping chain in 24 & 36 lengths,plus full chisel & full chisel skip for crosscutting in same lengths.

Got a bit of extra money this week - I seen a 30"Oregon Power Match .050 gauge b/c combo for like $90+ postage,I may splurge & grab that too! :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Yup. In mid 90's when I bought these first ones before internet only place I knew of who sold ripping chain was direct from Granberg themselves.And they cost more than local guy charged.I prefer to buy local whenever I can,but he's quite expensive now,quoted me 35 cents a link for LP070G Full Chisel last December,he dont even stock loops anymore.

Got them at Baileys in April for 24" Skip & 36" Skip for $24 & $30 each with postage,respectively.Local guy was more than that 15 yrs ago!! :bug:

Gonna order another ripping chain next,my 2 oldest ones are about toast now.I have ripping chain in 24 & 36 lengths,plus full chisel & full chisel skip for crosscutting in same lengths.

Got a bit of extra money this week - I seen a 30"Oregon Power Match .050 gauge b/c combo for like $90+ postage,I may splurge & grab that too! :coolgrin:

lol I bet they where pretty tough in the early 90's didnt think about that. Granberg chains are very over priced imho. You sure would be better off with the RS modd.
I have one rs full comp non skip 41. The 880 will plow through. Most say the 880 is very slow in the cross cut, but I would bet a big monster tree it would really shine with that rs on there.

smokinjay said:
Most say the 880 is very slow in the cross cut, but I would bet a big monster tree it would really shine with that rs on there.

Never been near either, but the 660 appears to run about 1500 RPMs higher. I think the cut speed in a 36" cut is somewhat limited by that if nothing else. Of course, with a 6' bar you know what would get the call. :coolsmile:

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Most say the 880 is very slow in the cross cut, but I would bet a big monster tree it would really shine with that rs on there.

Never been near either, but the 660 appears to run about 1500 RPMs higher. I think the cut speed in a 36" cut is somewhat limited by that if nothing else. Of course, with a 6' bar you know what would get the call. :coolsmile:

Remember that the 660 with a 36 inch bar running a skip vs a 880 full comp 1500 rpm's is nothing, and the 880 not going to lose its rpm either. Now I am talking very large wood! 45+ even I am not sure here. I have never cross cut with it, but even in the milling get holds rpm's.

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

I stopped this morning at the Wood Chop Shop and he put in the order for the mill (G776-36) and the ez rail 9 ft. Mill Guide System with 3 crossbar kits, Model G1080.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

I stopped this morning at the Wood Chop Shop and he put in the order for the mill (G776-36) and the ez rail 9 ft. Mill Guide System with 3 crossbar kits, Model G1080.

Zap

You just now getting the order in?

Zap[/quote]

You just now getting the order in?[/quote]

The first Mill that came in was for a 20 inch bar or less and the ez rails came this week but are wrong also so he called everything in when I was there from info I pulled off the net.

The ez rails that came in might be missing a box because it was less then three feet long, this will give me time to get the first tree (it's topped off)dropped and setup. If it's not raining real hard tonight I'll get a picture with some measurements.

Zap

zapny said:

Zap

You just now getting the order in?[/quote]

The first Mill that came in was for a 20 inch bar or less and the ez rails came this week but are wrong also so he called everything in when I was there from info I pulled off the net.

The ez rails that came in might be missing a box because it was less then three feet long, this will give me time to get the first tree (it's topped off)dropped and setup. If it's not raining real hard tonight I'll get a picture with some measurements.

Zap[/quote]

Welcome to the milling world.....Think it was about 6 weeks after placing the first order that I was able to make my first run.

smokinjay said:
Welcome to the milling world.....Think it was about 6 weeks after placing the first order that I was able to make my first run.

There'll be no stopping him now....Every large tree you see on other's or your own property will have you thinking "Hmmm... I wonder how many board feet could I get from THAT trunk & how many cords or p/u loads of fuel from the remaining tops & branches? ;-) "

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

There'll be no stopping him now....Every large tree you see on other's or your own property will have you thinking "Hmmm... I wonder how many board feet could I get from THAT trunk & how many cords or p/u loads from the remaining tops & branches? ;-) "

Hes going to have a cabin city in no time! GTG At ZAPS!

Thistle & Smokin; what wOOd a good thickness be for boards for an outside shed? This will be made from White Pine.

Zap

zapny said:
Thistle & Smokin; what wOOd a good thickness be for boards for an outside shed? This will be made from White Pine.

Zap

Siding 3/4-1 inch.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Siding 3/4-1 inch.

So I can set the mill at 4/4 and give it a go. I'll have to get a list of tools I should have so when it all comes in I will be ready.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Siding 3/4-1 inch.

So I can set the mill at 4/4 and give it a go. I'll have to get a list of tools I should have so when it all comes in I will be ready.

Zap

Tape measure, level peavy, ss screws and cordless drill.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Siding 3/4-1 inch.

Zap

Tape measure, level peavy, ss screws and cordless drill.
Good on all items but the ss screws, are they stainless steel screws and what do you use them for? Also do you use just a pencil for marking or something heavier?

Zap

ss="spellchecked_word">zapny</SPAN> said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay</SPAN> said:
Thistle & ss="spellchecked_word">Smokin</SPAN>; what ss="spellchecked_word">wOOd</SPAN> a good thickness be for boards for an outside shed? This will be made from White Pine.

Zap

Siding 3/4-1 inch.

Zap

Tape measure, level ss="spellchecked_word">peavy</SPAN>, ss screws and cordless drill.
Good on all items but the ss screws, are they stainless steel screws and what do you use them for? Also do you use just a pencil for marking or something heavier?

Zap

Yes stainless screws and its for anchoring your rails.

smokinjay said:
ss="spellchecked_word">zapny</SPAN>" date="1306523761 said:
Thistle & ss="spellchecked_word">Smokin</SPAN>; what ss="spellchecked_word">wOOd</SPAN> a good thickness be for boards for an outside shed? This will be made from White Pine.

Yes stainless screws and its for anchoring your rails.

With the ez rails I should have everything when it comes in.

Zap

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
GTG At ZAPS!

Yassss! Finally be one near enough for me to go to.

How about Tupper Lake this year, meet at the Lumberjack Inn for breakfast then take some events in at the Woodsmen's Day.

Zap

zapny said:
Battenkiller said:
Yassss! Finally be one near enough for me to go to.

How about Tupper Lake this year, meet at the Lumberjack Inn for breakfast then take some events in at the Woodsmen's Day.

[/quote]

Sounds great! I plan on being there anyway. My friend Mike Page will be there doing bear carving demos for Dolmar (his sponsor) and I planned to tag along anyway. Lucky dog, he gets all his saws for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.