Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battenkiller said:
Oops. He's doing the one in Boonville in August. OK, though, I'm still open for it.

Last year we went to both, sounds good Battenkiller.

Tupper Bound

Zap

[hink it was about 6 weeks after placing the first order that I was able to make my first run.[/quote]

Smokin attached are three pictures of some white pine for milling, the first two pictures are the same tree at different times. The tree is 70 inches in circumference at 4.5 feet which should make the diameter 22.28 and looks to be about 24-30 feet tall.

Picture 2900 I'm not even sure the location.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2901.jpg
    100_2901.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 100_3026.jpg
    100_3026.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_2900.jpg
    100_2900.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 203
zapny said:
[hink it was about 6 weeks after placing the first order that I was able to make my first run.

Smokin attached are three pictures of some white pine for milling, the first two pictures are the same tree at different times. The tree is 70 inches in circumference at 4.5 feet which should make the diameter 22.28 and looks to be about 24-30 feet tall.

Zap[/quote]

What is your first prodject you want to do?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
[hink it was about 6 weeks after placing the first order that I was able to make my first run.

Zap

What is your first prodject you want to do?[/quote]

Looking for some one inch boards for a shed or cabin.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

What is your first prodject you want to do?

Looking for some one inch boards for a shed or cabin.

zap[/quote]

Are you going to mill the beams poles and or studs?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

I'll see how things go then think about ordering the mini mill.

Is this the mini mill you use?

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46555&catID;=

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Zap

With logs like that you should not have to by any lumber........I would start stock piling 4 and 6 inch thick slabs. Now you can still make siding out of it later, but you get a couple 1000bf of cants stock up you would then be ready to launch any project you could dream up.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1306553611 said:

Zap

Zap

With logs like that you should not have to by any lumber........I would start stock piling 4 and 6 inch thick slabs. Now you can still make siding out of it later, but you get a couple 1000bf of cants stock up you would then be ready to launch any project you could dream up.

What can I use popple for if I want to mill it.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1306555333 said:
zapny" date="1306553611 said:

Zap

Zap

What can I use popple for if I want to mill it.

zap

2x4 2x6 Same thing slab them out and stack them up. Get way ahead just like the firewood. Once you have a big pile build up start your project. Need a mini mill but you have lots of work to do before worrying to much about it. I would go old school to real 2x4 real 2x6 and so on

Zap[/quote]

2x4 2x6 Same thing slab them out and stack them up. Get way ahead just like the firewood. Once you have a big pile build up start your project. Need a mini mill but you have lots of work to do before worrying to much about it. I would go old school to real 2x4 real 2x6 and so on[/quote]

I'll have the mini mill for end of June beginning of July. The first project will be something we can store the yard tractor plus ladders and a bunch of othe stuff.

Zap

zapny said:

Zap

2x4 2x6 Same thing slab them out and stack them up. Get way ahead just like the firewood. Once you have a big pile build up start your project. Need a mini mill but you have lots of work to do before worrying to much about it. I would go old school to real 2x4 real 2x6 and so on[/quote]

I'll have the mini mill for end of June beginning of July. The first project will be something we can store the yard tractor plus ladders and a bunch of other stuff.

Zap[/quote]

I would build it like any other shed. Start with a wood floor. frame up on top of that siding and roof same material and some shingle's. Pole barn style works to. Either will need simple slabs/cants raw material but ready material. More the better before the mini mill even gets there. This would be like owning your own lumber yard! Sweeet...

Smokin/Thistle if I want to start making some stickers what can I buy (from the lumber yard) then cut down so that I'm ready on that end.

Zap

zapny said:
Smokin/Thistle if I want to start making some stickers what can I buy (from the lumber yard) then cut down so that I'm ready on that end.

Zap

Anything, 1 by 4 or 6 would be perfect. Cross cut at 1 inch.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Anything, 1 by 4 or 6 would be perfect. Cross cut at 1 inch.

Yup. Buy the cheapest they got,#3 grade,furring strips or whatever you can get thats not all twisted or warped. Good luck with that,once they cut the metal bands on most lumber bundles,those suckers just go wild once the tension is released.

smokinjay said:
You can learn something new everyday with this book! I was looking at the re-saw pages and thats when the real deal on the mini mill hit me. (this pic is very close to what you see in the book) Hes saw I believe is the 020.

AWESOME BOOK BTW!

Smokin, I just called the Wood Chop Shop and they said the rails and the 36 inch mill came in yesterday afternoon so they will bring it from the canton store to the massena store which I'll be stopping by in the morning.

I just hope everything came in correct.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
You can learn something new everyday with this book! I was looking at the re-saw pages and thats when the real deal on the mini mill hit me. (this pic is very close to what you see in the book) Hes saw I believe is the 020.

AWESOME BOOK BTW!

Smokin, I just called the Wood Chop Shop and they said the rails and the 36 inch mill came in yesterday afternoon so they will bring it from the canton store to the massena store which I'll be stopping by in the morning.

I just hope everything came in correct.

Oh, that would be so wrong if it didnt....There is a you tube video on ow to put it together. I just hit pause and caught up then started the video again and so on...Pretty simple but even easier with the video. :cheese: Oh 1/2 inch ratchet wrench is a must have........

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

AWESOME BOOK BTW!

smokin do you have the link?

zap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimvyXc8Bmg part 1 and 2[youtube]<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RimvyXc8Bmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Part 2 is link to that page!

smokinjay said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RimvyXc8Bmg part 1 and 2[youtube]<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RimvyXc8Bmg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Smokin thanks, did you use any commercial strength locktite when putting this together.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin thanks, did you use any commercial strength locktite when putting this together.

zap

Not needed imo there all nylon coated never lost one and I idle tat 880 a lot! :cheese:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/pOJx-7A10zQ[/youtube]

:cheese:

smokinjay said:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/pOJx-7A10zQ[/youtube]

:cheese:

Is that you or mmaul on the saw?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.