Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smokin or Thistle, how often do you mill over nine feet in one run.

zap

zapny said:

zap

As often as I can! Just move your guide down the log about 3/4 of the way....Easy Peazy!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

As often as I can! Just move your guide down the log about 3/4 of the way....Easy Peazy!

I never did ask when ordering the ez rails (9ft) do they come in three foot sections?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

I never did ask when ordering the ez rails (9ft) do they come in three foot sections?

zap

They should....I dont run into 10 footer that offen. It is very easy to just slide it down the log, heck I leave my 880 on the rail. I had a 12 foot set-up and hated it, so I drop it to an 8footer.

Smokin, do you just rub the Bees Wax on the ends right out of the can?

Zap

Attachments

• beeswax.jpg
    beeswax.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 258
zapny said:

Zap

I just paint the cheaper woods. Black walnut I use the bee-wax on the top and bottom and paraffin wax on the ends.
So your framing wood or softwood just paint the ends, hardwoods you may want to go the extra mile for.

I have a good recipe for making an awesome bee-wax blend that works very well and much cheaper!

Attachments

• wax resize.jpg
    wax resize.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 231
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

I just paint the cheaper woods. Black walnut I use the bee-wax on the top and bottom and paraffin wax on the ends.
So your framing wood or softwood just paint the ends, hardwoods you may want to go the extra mile for.

I have a good recipe for making an awesome bee-wax blend that works very well and much cheaper!

So on the pine I can leave the top and bottom alone then paint the ends(what type of paint?)

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

So on the pine I can leave the top and bottom alone then paint the ends(what type of paint?)

zap

Use up what you have around the house first Anything....Yes leave the top and botton alone on the pine.

Smokin, looks like everything came in from what I can see, I might start putting it together tonight.

The ez rails (wet) are in the first picture (they had put them outside because I was coming and it started pouring just before I got there) then the second picture is the mill.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3291.jpg
    100_3291.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 100_3292.jpg
    100_3292.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 225
zapny said:
Smokin, looks like everything came in from what I can see, I might start putting it together tonight.

The ez rails (wet) are in the first picture (they had put them outside because I was coming and it started pouring just before I got there) then the second picture is the mill.

zap

Yep yep...Grap a 1/2 wrench and lap-top set at kitchen table about 30 min's your done...Pretty cool video....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Yep yep...Grap a 1/2 wrench and lap-top set at kitchen table about 30 min's your done...Pretty cool video....

Smokin the white plastic piece is not in the package, how important is it.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Smokin the white plastic piece is not in the package, how important is it.

zap

LOL Funny stuff there!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through the same thing even called them out on it......Turns out its just comes on the SMALL MILL ONLY!!!!! I email back and fourth as well, but it is not a part of your mill. Glad you caught that to! :lol: You are very educated on the mills for sure!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

LOL Funny stuff there!!!!!!!!!!!! I went through the same thing even called them out on it......Turns out its just comes on the SMALL MILL ONLY!!!!! I email back and fourth as well, but it is not a part of your mill. Glad you caught that to! :lol: You are very educated on the mills for sure!

Just watched your video of milling and noticed you didn't have one so I figured it was for the smaller ones, thanks.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Just watched your video of milling and noticed you didn't have one so I figured it was for the smaller ones, thanks.

zap

It make me nuts for a week figuring I had a part missing.....Wasnt affarid of running it just wanted everything to be there....One comes on the mini mill as well it last about a full run...lol

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1309399841 said:

Smokin one question before I start, about one minute into the second video about putting the mill together he says the bar is flush with the outside, is that the including the black cap?

zap

zap

It make me nuts for a week figuring I had a part missing.....Wasnt affarid of running it just wanted everything to be there....One comes on the mini mill as well it last about a full run...lol

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1309400084 said:
zapny" date="1309399841 said:

Smokin one question before I start, about one minute into the second video about putting the mill together he says the bar is flush with the outside, is that the including the black cap?

zap

Yes

zap

Yes :cheese:

Bump......Pic's or it didnt happen! :coolhmm:

smokinjay said:

Smokin, how far down did you tighten down the handle from the guide end?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin, how far down did you tighten down the handle from the guide end?

zap

Just snug it up until you know what works for you....Mine is about a foot to the left. Could be different once you get going but always keep a 1/2 inch with you for adjustments. :cheese:

Smokin, if you notice something wrong just post it. Looking at the rails tomorrow night.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3293.jpg
    100_3293.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 100_3295.jpg
    100_3295.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_3296.jpg
    100_3296.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_3297.jpg
    100_3297.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_3298.jpg
    100_3298.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 264
Smokin/Thistle, I see on Granbergs site they say you can lose between 2-4 inches on how wide you can cut, how much do you lose or will I lose with the 36 inch bar.

zap

zapny said:
Smokin/Thistle, I see on Granbergs site they say you can lose between 2-4 inches on how wide you can cut, how much do you lose or will I lose with the 36 inch bar.

zap

With the 36" Bar I can mill logs up to 32".

zapny said:

zap

Thistle said:
zapny said:

zap

Thistle thanks, are you running the auxiliary oiler on your 36 inch bar?

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.