Chainsaw Lumbermaking by Will Malloff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thistle said:
zapny said:
Smokin/Thistle, I see on Granbergs site they say you can lose between 2-4 inches on how wide you can cut, how much do you lose or will I lose with the 36 inch bar.

zap

With the 36" Bar I can mill logs up to 32".

In that ball park wish the logs where that good...lol 41 inch bar I have had trouble with a 32 inch before...No big deal teach you how to get around it when the time comes...
Looks like your way wide right on the handle but you can adjust later.... :cheese:

zapny said:
Thistle said:
zapny said:
Smokin/Thistle, I see on Granbergs site they say you can lose between 2-4 inches on how wide you can cut, how much do you lose or will I lose with the 36 inch bar.

zap

With the 36" Bar I can mill logs up to 32".

Thistle thanks, are you running the auxiliary oiler on your 36 inch bar?

zap
Nope.I dont get many logs over 24-26 anymore,but will get one eventually.I called last winter what the 44" double ended bar,helper handle with roller bearing & aux oiler would run - was around $485 with shipping if memory serves.Gonna have to wait a while longer.What I have works great for now.

zap[/quote] Nope.I dont get many logs over 24-26 anymore,but will get one eventually.I called last winter what the 44" double ended bar,helper handle with roller bearing & aux oiler would run - was around $485 with shipping if memory serves.Gonna have to wait a while longer.What I have works great for now.[/quote]

I think for $54.00 dollars you can get the aux. oiler and attach it plus drill two holes and your off and running. I might get the mini mill plus the aux. oiler only because we have some big pine.

zap

zapny said:
Nope.I dont get many logs over 24-26 anymore,but will get one eventually.I called last winter what the 44" double ended bar,helper handle with roller bearing & aux oiler would run - was around $485 with shipping if memory serves.Gonna have to wait a while longer.What I have works great for now.[/quote]

I think for $54.00 dollars you can get the aux. oiler and attach it plus drill two holes and your off and running. I might get the mini mill plus the aux. oiler only because we have some big pine.

zap[/quote]

Oh zap I can walk you through that for less than 10.00 buck if its not already laying around....NO WHOLE DRILLING!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Nope.I dont get many logs over 24-26 anymore,but will get one eventually.I called last winter what the 44" double ended bar,helper handle with roller bearing & aux oiler would run - was around $485 with shipping if memory serves.Gonna have to wait a while longer.What I have works great for now.

zap[/quote]

Oh zap I can walk you through that for less than 10.00 buck if its not already laying around....NO WHOLE DRILLING![/quote]

Just found this you old dog.

I used a wire tie and just let it drip on to the bar it finds its way to the chain with no CLOGGING!

zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap[/quote]

Oh zap I can walk you through that for less than 10.00 buck if its not already laying around....NO WHOLE DRILLING![/quote]

Picture or it didn't happen.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

zap

Picture or it didn't happen.

zap[/quote]

You can clearly see the hose and zip tie...This keeps you from drilling or clogging!

Attachments

• milling2.jpg
    milling2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 290
I wont drill any holes in my bars,not even older ones.Zip ties is a great idea.

Thistle said:

I almost drilled and came to my senses thats alot of money and reviews say they clogs up anyway..... :cheese: That oil finds it way to the chain it has nowhere else to go.

Any bottle and tube with an adjuster and couple zip ties and your done.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

I almost drilled and came to my senses thats alot of money and reviews say they clogs up anyway..... :cheese: That oil finds it way to the chain it has nowhere else to go.

Thanks Smokin/Thistle, the aux. oiler and the mini mill is on it's way. :zip:

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

zap

LOVE IT! (Just dont drill) :lol:

What chain is your 310 running?

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

zap

I won't drill, just debating if it would be worth getting another 5 or 9 foot section of ez rails for some longer cuts.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

zap

I won't drill, just debating if it would be worth getting another 5 or 9 foot section of ez rails for some longer cuts.

zap

I really dont think so, I ran a 12 footer just to hard to handle at that length....8 foot for me is perfect slides easy for one person and its only for one cut. Take your time with the first cut then everything goes pretty smooth and fast. Most tree you will need to make slight adjustments on to and 12 is a lot harder.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Who's running the 310?

zap

Mini mill set-up. Small kerf chain and bar that 310 could be a strong one to have in the mix.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Who's running the 310?

zap

Mini mill set-up. Small kerf chain and bar that 310 could be a strong one to have in the mix.

I take it you don't use a ripping chain when using the mini mill.

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Who's running the 310?

zap

Zap

I just cut my own, my little 192t does a good job and loses very little kerf. Bet a 310 with an .043 set-up would kick @ass! Even a .325 would work as well....

Attachments

• aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 232
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Who's running the 310?

zap

Zap

I just cut my own, my little 192t does a good job and loses very little kerf. Bet a 310 with an .043 set-up would kick @ass! Even a .325 would work as well....

I'm almost sure it's the .325.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1309455133 said:

Who's running the 310?

zap

Zap

I'm almost sure it's the .325.

zap

That will work out well! :cheese: Time for the 310 to earn its keep!

double post deleted.

zap

smokin/thistle, on the carlton A1 3/8 0.050 is that a 10 percent angle?

zap

zapny said:

zap

Dont know about Carlton. My ripping chains are Oregon 75JGX 0.63 gauge skip.Ground to 10 or 15 degrees. I imagine the specs would be the same though.

Thistle said:
zapny said:

zap

Dont know about Carlton. My ripping chains are Oregon 75JGX 0.63 gauge skip.Ground to 10 or 15 degrees. I imagine the specs would be the same though.

I think if I'm reading the chart (just found it) it's 10 percent.

http://www.sawchain.com/images/2008-2009 Intl Catalog/SawChainTypes.pdf

zap

Thistle said:
zapny said:

zap

Question on the ez rails, I'm using the nine footers so should I leave overhang at both ends or just one end when milling. This will determine the length of the log.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.