Chainsaw Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
When I was down at my neighbors he was showing me his older stihl (not sure which model) so when I pulled on it to start it there was nothing, I could pull it (The recoil) but nothing would catch. You could pull it up without anything turning what could the problem be?

Zap

Hope I'm explaining this okay.

There like a clutch that lets it engauge when pulled and springs lets it spool back up. Clutch recoil is bad.

smokinjay said:
There like a clutch that lets it engauge when pulled and springs lets it spool back up. Clutch recoil is bad.

If that had to be taken to the local stihl dealer is that a big cost?

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

If that had to be taken to the local stihl dealer is that a big cost?

Zap

I would guess 35-60 bucks. I could never figure one out so that is a trip to the dealership for me as-well. Just a guess never had a saw do that. Lawn mowers I have.

I would guess 35-60 bucks. I could never figure one out so that is a trip to the dealership for me as-well. Just a guess never had a saw do that. Lawn mowers I have.[/quote]

Thanks smokin, I doubt he'll get it fixed he's 80 and won't use it again.

Zap

Depending on the model there are little pawls that flip out to engage the fly wheel. If one is broken or some how locked up it can not operate... My 084 had a similar problem after sitting for a few months.

RNLA said:
Depending on the model there are little pawls that flip out to engage the fly wheel. If one is broken or some how locked up it can not operate... My 084 had a similar problem after sitting for a few months.

RNLA, his has been sitting for about five years.

Zap

You can pull the few screws holding the cover with the recoil mechanism, and take a look inside there, and on the corresponding area of the flywheel.

There are only so many different starter mechanisms, and any competent amateur mechanic should be able to find the culprit in a few minutes.

Quite possibly, a shot or two of wd-40 might loosen up stuff that's frozen because of inactivity.

What model Stihl is it? I'll look up the mechanism, if that saw's covered in the pubs I have here. Why throw money around?

CTYank said:
You can pull the few screws holding the cover with the recoil mechanism, and take a look inside there, and on the corresponding area of the flywheel.

There are only so many different starter mechanisms, and any competent amateur mechanic should be able to find the culprit in a few minutes.

Quite possibly, a shot or two of wd-40 might loosen up stuff that's frozen because of inactivity.

What model Stihl is it? I'll look up the mechanism, if that saw's covered in the pubs I have here. Why throw money around?

CTYank, I'll see if I can get the model of his saw this week.

Thanks
Zap

take the flywheel cover off and try installing it again without tightening it down....pull the rope slowly until the pawls engage. Maybe it's just not "seating correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.