chainsaw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicSWC

Nov 4, 2011
York, Pa.
I have a homelite pro. 4620 that has been getting hot and has light smoke coming from up top. I took the muffler off and cleaned out a bunch off debris. Any other thoughts as to what it could be? Gas oil mix is good. Also thought Id clean the spark arrestor but the manual doesnt show w ere or how? Anyne have experience with this? Thanks

May be tuned lean, that will overheat & toast a saw faster than anything. Check for air leaks around carb & boot, make sure carb is tight to manifold/intake, & check fuel line for air leaks. Good luck! A C

If you have access to an air compressor, I'd suggest that you pull the starter housing and blow the area clean. You may need a small wire brush to scrape stuff off the fins. This is something I'd suggest every dozen hours of operation, or so.

Dust from dull chain can speed up accumulation of stuff on the fins.

I use the air compressor after every cutting session,whether its 30 minutes or 6-7 hrs.Recoil starter,cylinder fins,the space where chain tension screw is next to felling spikes,underneath at the clutch/sprocket,even pop the cover & hit the air filter/carburetor area lightly.Whole saw rarely takes more than 5 minutes to clean it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.