Chainsaw questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

owingsia

Aug 12, 2013
Saluda VA
Ok I need to get a chainsaw and have a few questions. Currently running a 14" cheapo from the pawnshop.

I am looking at the Jonsered 20" 50+CC.

Are Jonsered good saws?
1. Run all day.
2. Power, I need more power!
3. Reliable (going to run hard and not quit?)

Secondly I have heard mixed opinions on this.

I want to get a 14" blade for the saw and run with that. I have been told to get two saws because changing out bars sucks. My thing about this is when I need a 20" blade I am not going to be changing back to 14" for a while and same with 14".

I want to get a powerful saw that way when im running the 14" blade I can really burn through wood quickly with plenty of power and when I his a 13 -16 inch round I have the power to take it on. (Current saw will do it but its rough and anything bigger makes for some slow work.)

Is this a good idea (Changing blades etc...)?

Ok I need to get a chainsaw and have a few questions. Currently running a 14" cheapo from the pawnshop.

I am looking at the Jonsered 20" 50+CC.

Are Jonsered good saws?
1. Run all day.
2. Power, I need more power!
3. Reliable (going to run hard and not quit?)

Secondly I have heard mixed opinions on this.

I want to get a 14" blade for the saw and run with that. I have been told to get two saws because changing out bars sucks. My thing about this is when I need a 20" blade I am not going to be changing back to 14" for a while and same with 14".

I want to get a powerful saw that way when im running the 14" blade I can really burn through wood quickly with plenty of power and when I his a 13 -16 inch round I have the power to take it on. (Current saw will do it but its rough and anything bigger makes for some slow work.)

Is this a good idea (Changing blades etc...)?

It is my understanding that Jonsered is owned by Husqvarna. I've never run one but have heard good things about their pro models. If you have a good dealer close by go with it. If you are talking about the models Tractor Supply is now selling I don't know that they would fit the criteria you listed above especially run all day and more power. If that is what you are truly looking for, spend extra $ to get a pro model saw - Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Dolmar, whatever but make sure you have good (and close) dealer support. Especially if you will be using it as hard as it sounds you will be.

Why don't you keep your cheapo 14" saw for liming and small logs and get a new 60cc+ pro model saw to run a 20" bar. That should help keep bar swapping down. You do want to periodically flip your bar so it doesn't wear down on one side. Keep your chain sharp too. Good luck in your search. I'm sure others will chime in with some tips as well. Great amount of knowledge here.

The Jonsered line are fine saws, but, and Clyde said they are essentially red Husqvarna's for the most part - some minor difference in design, but typically comparable models are built on the same chassis, etc. For example, if you were thinking of a Husqvarna 455, but found a great deal on a Jonsered 2255, you getting essentially the same saw at a better price. IMO I'd stay with Husqvarna for a couple reasons: 1) they are more popular in most places and therefore used parts are much easier to find on eBay, etc., 2) with the stronger name recognition in most areas, you have a better resale value on the Husqvarna should you decided to sell at some point. Not knowing how much you'd like to spend limits some suggestions, but it sounds like you are going after performance and I'd suggest thinking about the pro line saws for this and durability. If you are thinking about spending ~ $700 for a pro level 60cc saw (which I think you'd be very happy with), give some thoughts to a Husqvarna 555 or 562xp. You hadn't mentioned Stihl, but an MS362 is at the same price point is is a very nice saw. IMO changing bars would be a pain, but not too bad if you plan your cuts well (get all your limbing and small cuts done with the 16" bar and then mount the 20" bar for the larger cuts). Don't focus too much on working fast - with a chainsaw, slow steady work best for safety. What you want is a saw that won't bog in the cut all the time - that's part of what the larger saw will give you. If you didn't want to go the pro route, then another possibility (with nearly the same price point as one pro saw) is to buy a homeowner 50cc class saw, for example a Husq 455 and also a small 30cc class saw for limbing, such as a Stihl MS180. You'd have a nice light limbing saw with the small bar and a larger saw for the larger wood and no changing bars. As you can see, there are A LOT of possibilities. If it were me, I'd be spending my money on a pro 60cc saw first, then saving for a smaller limbing saw down the road. Cheers!

Hi - I agree with "14" saw for liming and small logs and get a new 60cc+ pro model saw to run a 20" bar."

I spent $300 on a used Makita 6401. It was a rental from Home Depot. It's run hard and often with a 20" bar. I paid for itself the first day. Dolmar and Makita are the same saws. Huskie, Stihl, Echo, Dolmar/Makita... That's about all the saws I see in the woods for long ;)

Oh - And spend a few buck to get some chainsaw saftey chaps for your legs. I also use a helmet with in integrated face shield and ear muffs.

I have a 26 yr old Jonsered 450 that I just cant kill...I've tried (my justification for buying a new saw) but it just wont die. That being said I went to buy a new Sthil MS 261 but just couldn't pull the trigger and wound up buying a like new Husqvarna 346XP off CR for 350.00...man what a nice piece. Long story short, that 346XP convinced me that my next saw will be a 372XP, 70cc,5.3hp and 13.4lbs, then I'll be set...till the next one

I have a 26 yr old Jonsered 450 that I just cant kill...I've tried (my justification for buying a new saw) but it just wont die. That being said I went to buy a new Sthil MS 261 but just couldn't pull the trigger and wound up buying a like new Husqvarna 346XP off CR for 350.00...man what a nice piece. Long story short, that 346XP convinced me that my next saw will be a 372XP, 70cc,5.3hp and 13.4lbs, then I'll be set...till the next one

Yep.

I agree with NH_wood. I just got my 555 yesterday and without a drop of gas put into it yet, I'm so glad to have a pro-grade saw.
Do your shopping because I found my saw for a few dollars more than the 460 at fleet farm. I can turn you on to a place if you need.

Reactions: TreePointer
I love my Jonsereds and so do my friends that try them, except one who still can't accept my 2152 smoking his ms290 repeatedly. They are identical to the comparable husqavarna and the parts are interchangeable. The front handle has a better angle as well in my opinion. Having a nearby dealer or two should be 50% of your brand choice. A husky dealer wouldn't have any problems working on it which adds more serviceability .

Oh and red and black is more attractive than orange by a mile.

Join arboristsite and ask around. There is a huge following of loyal sawyers on that forum.

Changing a bar and chain combo takes less than five minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.