chainsaw questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wdenton

Sep 15, 2011
MI
I have a homelite chanisaw that has a fuel leak and wont stay tuned corredctly so I am thinking of getting a new saw.

There is husky 350 that looks new on craigslist around me for 225.00

There is also a local shop that has a well used stihl 290 for 250.oo

Are these decent prices.

I can get a remanufactured husky 455 for 299.00 so is it worth getting a used one for a little less

I would definitely retire the Homelite, and take a close look at that Husky 350. If the Stihl is in good shape it deserves a close look as well. Prices tend to vary depending on condition. If you do a good deal of heavy cutting the refurb'ed Husky should be considered.

Whats the warranty on the refurbed 455 and the MS290?

I'd lean at these two saws over the 350, but only because the chances of buying a problem off Craigslist is more likely than on a refurb saw with a warranty or a used saw from an actual dealer.

the 290 is at a second hand store type place so only 30 days
the refurb husky is from family farm store
the 350 on craigles list says it was only used "3 or 4 time" but who knows

i read some bad stuff on the 455 rancher so that makes me a little nervous.

I cut a fair amount of wood and heat soley with it soe I figure around 12 cord a year of burn so maybe 15 cord a year to cut.

Just got a factory-refurb 455r last week. Came with new 20" bar & chisel chain. 90-day factory warranty. $306 delivered.

It's now my heavy firewood artillery. Runs great; really like the reduced fuel consumption with the stratified scavenging. It is NOT a featherweight, but to me a bit of heft helps in bucking. It has no problem with 20" bar buried in maple. Hearing protection required. Dunno why it has a compression release- really easy to start.

DAGS VMInnovations in Lincoln NE for various refurb Husqvarnas.

If the 350 was truly only used a few times and you're not cutting up monster wood I would give a look at that one . . . offer $200 if it is truly in a good condition.

I have a 350 and it's near indestructible . . . looks like hell since I don't treat 'er with tending loving care and I think either I, my friend or brother dropped a tree on it (most likely me), but she runs like a champ . . . a bit cold-blooded though -- then again I would too if someone let a tree drop on me. ;)

Either of those saws would be a big step up form the Homelite and probably provide very adequate service as well. To take a larger step up, you could consider a Husqvarna 346XP a Stihl 261, but be prepared for a much bigger price tag.

wdenton said:
the 290 is at a second hand store type place so only 30 days
the refurb husky is from family farm store
the 350 on craigles list says it was only used "3 or 4 time" but who knows

Check it out and see what its like. Take a log with you for a test cut.

i read some bad stuff on the 455 rancher so that makes me a little nervous.

Discounting chainsaw snobbery, the 455 is by all accounts a very good firewood saw. Durable, reliable and strong enough to cut whatever most firewood burners would choose to cut and split. No, its not a professional saw. No it doesn't have a kajillion rpm limit. Yes it does have alot more plastic than the pro saws. Yes it is heavy and falls short in HP when you compare it to pro saws in its displacement class. Usually I see this sort of stuff coming from guys who drop trees for a living. Its a good firewood saw.

I cut a fair amount of wood and heat soley with it soe I figure around 12 cord a year of burn so maybe 15 cord a year to cut.

And you've been doing that with a little Homelite saw? Kudos to you. As noted by others, ANY of the listed saws is going to be a serious upgrade for you. Assuming decent condition, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.

Who do you have available for servicing the saws? If the choice is a pro dealer for Stihl, or a mechanic in the local hardware shop that will work on Husky stuff, I know what saw I would buy. Nothing wrong with either saw. You might want to consider your support for the long term.

I own a 290 and have used a 455 and they are certainly quality firewood saws, but I'm not their biggest fan because of their power-to-weight ratios and the 290's old antivibration technology. For that reason, I'd go with the Husqvarna 350.

I would roll with the 290 from dealer!

mayhem said:
Whats the warranty on the refurbed 455 and the MS290?

I'd lean at these two saws over the 350, but only because the chances of buying a problem off Craigslist is more likely than on a refurb saw with a warranty or a used saw from an actual dealer.

I know first hand of buying a like new saw with a bad piston. The dealer took care of me and has all my business now

I would go for the Stihl. But then again, as long as you retire the Homelite you are better off. I have had two Homelites. The second was a warranty replacement for the first. Both have been problematic. My Stihl is rock solid. One of the best gifts my wife has ever given me.

I just went through researching, posting, looking and finally buying a new saw. Mainly looked at the Husqvarnas.
What kind of $ are you looking to spend? The 455 and 460 seem to be a good all around saw, a few of my friends use them.
Ebay was a good place to get a ballpark figure on saw prices. Many had the "buy it now" which is pretty much dealer prices.
I found a few good used ones as well.
I ended up getting a Husky 372XP barely used "like new" for $625.00
I only cut 8-10 cords a year but i used a friends 372 this year and had to have one. I can cut three times the wood in a day with the bigger saw.
Probably did not need a professional one but what the hell its only money.

I reserve the right to borrow that line with your permission? Problem now is I'm up into the 90cc class saws, & looking for 100+. Oh well, like you said, "it's only money" A C

amateur cutter said:

I reserve the right to borrow that line with your permission? Problem now is I'm up into the 90cc class saws, & looking for 100+. Oh well, like you said, "it's only money" A C

Haha yeah go for it!

$399 is steep for a reman saw, the 455 is $399.95 new MSRP at Tractor Supply

+1 on buying from a reputable dealer. Stihl or Husky or whatever brand. When you need service the box stores will leave you wanting.

FYI:

I would take a 350 over the 455 just because...
The Stihl MS290 new is roughly $360 depending on what size bar is installed.

Jags said something that is worth repeating . . . making sure you have a local, trust worthy Stilhl or Husquvarna dealership should be taken into account as if and when the saw breaks or you need to get parts, chains or a simple, quick fix it's nice to have that local connection. My dealer has got me out of more than one bind . . . thrown in free files, done a simple fix while I waited, etc. . . . which is why I ended up with the brand saw that I did . . . if not I could have just as easily purchased a Stihl as I've also had very good luck with those as well.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said something that is worth repeating . . .

Don't worry, it probably won't happen again.

OK
I am adding more to the confusion.
The person with the 350 said I could get it for 200 but it is around an hour drive from my house or 35 minutes from work.

So I went to the local stihl dealer at lunch and looked at the saws and they had a ms250 that was only 10 lbs and they had a 290 but that is close to 13 lbs

Let me state I am in my 40's and in good shape but I was wondering how much I would notice the weight of the 290 compared to the 250 or the husky 350
Like I said I cut around 4 cord or 12 face cord :) a year and I like to cut all winter long. I down a tree and then cut it up so there may be a lot of lims in the air that I am cutting.

I would like to cut more if I have time to try and get ahead of the game.

the 250 had a 18 inch bar and was 299
the 290 had a 18 inch bar and was 260
the 350 had a 18 in bar an is 200 (or so) from craigslist

I am so confused and not sure what to get.

I also have not been able to find where the gas is leaking yet in the homelite

4 cords I would roll with the 250.

The 250 is getting to the point of not really a cord wood saw. Will it - yes, but even stihl considers it to be a light use saw. The 290 is a mid-range saw. 3.0hp to 3.8 hp respectively. For firewood, I would go with the 290 over the 250. Just one dudes opinion.

smokinjay said:
4 cords I would roll with the 250.

This coming from a dude that is swinging a 460 for knocking down trees?? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.