1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chainsaw Safety Brakes

Post in 'The Gear' started by WarmGuy, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    Could someone explain how the safety brakes on chainsaws work? I'm talking about the "lever" above the top handle. My electric chainsaw does not have one of these -- why are they less common on electrics?

Thanks,

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    The lever parallel to the handle is kind of old technology, but it's a second line of defense after the inertial chain brake, which is built inside the saw and activated when there's a sharp jolt to the bar (aka "kickback"). What's supposed to happen with the lever is that when the saw kicks back, it forces your hand into the lever, which trips the chain brake and (theoretically) stops the chain from rotating. I guess if the inertial chain brake failed, the lever might save you. It is mostly useful as a shield to keep your hand from being snapped by branches. Man, that hurts.

Your electric saw should have an inertial chain brake. If not, then please consider getting a safer saw.
  3. keyman512us

keyman512us Member

Loc:
    North Worc. CTY MA
    Eric 'summed it up best'

Electric chainsaws are "geared towards homeowners" and as such are often "less powerfull" than their gas parents...but are still dangerous in the wrong hands. Some electrics have the handle...but are not actually functional.

Most people "feel safer" using an electric chainsaw...they think they are less dangerous.
    Personally I would rather have a good "gas saw" with a sharp chain and enough power to 'get the job done...(if I were strictly a homeowner).

If you are thinking of "moving up" to a "gas job" I would recomend talking to a Stihl dealer and Inquire about the "Quick Stop" line...Stihl deserves some credit trying to develeop this concept... while I don't think they are actively producing them anymore...they can be found.
    Something to keep in mind anyway...
  4. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  5. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    Thanks, good info. My $4 garage sale Remington has shown me how useful having a chainsaw can be, but it's time to upgrade to the safest available.
  6. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Looks like this thread is covered. ;-)
  7. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    Even the best safty devices can be over come by careless use! Keep two hands on any saw and your eves and mind on what you are doing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.