Chainsaw screwups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
No safety gear. That's why I wear it.

It's funny that he has no problem standing there while a guy is cutting the root ball off.
I imagine he has no idea the danger of it...

freak accidents happen... I wouldn't be standing there while watching it, let alone having my back to it. Considering the reporter doesn't even look when root ball falls... Wow.

Looks like the guys saw bit and pulled him in...
Not sure how it'll pull you in in a situation like that... figure it would push back.
Looked like his saw was stuck in the cut on the root ball after it was finished.
Weird.

edit;
I also came here to post this link.
Glad I checked

TreePointer said:
The most difficult safety gear to acquire seems to be between the ears.

LOL! :lol:

Hass said:
Looked like his saw was stuck in the cut on the root ball after it was finished.

Yeah, if you stop it and advance it slowly it looks like that's what happened. Pretty freaky, but the guy's a lot more agile than me. I'd a been a goner in that situation.

Seeing PPE on workers is scarce in my parts. I always feel like a dork in my chaps, helmet, and full face shield. No such thing as face chaps, though. A saw that powerful would go through my steel mesh face shield like it wasn't even there. I give that guy credit for reacting that way. He instantly saw where the danger was and went through some pretty nifty contortions to avoid those killer teeth.

I dunno. I'm looking at that trying to figure out what he was actually doing. I didn't hear a saw in the background of the audio - but you can hear some of the other machinery, so I'm guessing the saw wasn't on. Yet the root ball was falling down, and the truck had ahold of the trunk already. One of two scenarios I can think of -

1. The guy had just sawn the root ball off and we either couldn't hear the saw, or it stalled out/he shut it off.

2. The guy had alread sawn the root ball off and the bar got pinched, and the truck was picking up the trunk, releasing the saw and the root ball.

If it was scenario 1, the guy could definately use a lesson or two in basic chainsaw safety. If it was scenario 2, it looks like he did a pretty good job keeping the saw from being damaged. Still could use some PPE, though.

......so says the guy who still doesn't have chaps, and has not a whole lot of cutting experience....... :red:

Status
Not open for further replies.