chainsaw sharpeners?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buddylee

Feb 16, 2011
middle georgia
Is there a company that sharpens chains any thing like when you buy them from the store ?

we were just talking about this last week. you want one of the sharpest chains out there, check out this little device.

Most any of the various sharpeners will get the job done. Be it hand filing or a $4000.00 automatic sharpener. Time and the operator are the key. I am a professional in the sharpening business I do hundreds of chains a year. I have seen some real hack jobs and excellent hand work over the years. Check your local listings for a sharpening shop, this gets away from the youngster/ or? at the hardware store that generally does not have a clue. With mailing/shipping costs it might not be cost effective to send them out unless it is a large number of chains. Now guys/gals do not go ranting at me, as everyone has there favorite method, what works for you might not be an acceptable method for another. Chris

The Timberline came in today. Along with a couple things for the 460...
Talk about Fast Shipping....

Hope to get time later to try it. Son was up sick last night. We both stayed home. Gotta take care of him 1st.

Attachments

• 2012-04-09_11-13-03_821.jpg
    2012-04-09_11-13-03_821.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 151
You LUCKY BUGGER!! Keep us posted on how it works. And I hope your boy feels better soon. My whole household has a bad cold too!

I ordered a Granberg G-106 and used it for the first time last weekend. To start, I wish I could say this thing is built like crap as that would be an improvement. It says, "Made in the USA", which, if I were them, I wouldn't put on the package because people would think it was made in China which would explain its crappy construction. After studying it for a while I sharpened a Stihl full-chisel chain. Yes, it got the chain sharper than I could ever do by hand and the chain cuts like new. In that regard, it gets the job done, and it also does a nice job on the rakers. But for flip sake, I'd rather pay $50.00 for a better-crafted version of thsi thing.

I ordered a Granberg G-106 and used it for the first time last weekend. To start, I wish I could say this thing is built like crap as that would be an improvement. It says, "Made in the USA", which, if I were them, I wouldn't put on the package because people would think it was made in China which would explain its crappy construction. After studying it for a while I sharpened a Stihl full-chisel chain. Yes, it got the chain sharper than I could ever do by hand and the chain cuts like new. In that regard, it gets the job done, and it also does a nice job on the rakers. But for flip sake, I'd rather pay $50.00 for a better-crafted version of thsi thing.
Anybody have any experience with the chains made by Rayco supposed to outlast standard ones by 50X,but a little pricey.

Sounds like a carbide chain which will go a long time in-between sharpenings indeed but will also cost $$ to sharpen. What saw/size are your running? Stihl's new PICCO Duro chain is quite affordable and I'm itching to try it except I don't have anything that runs Picco chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.