Chainsaw shopping.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
I had a few extra minutes today and thought I would check my local pawn shops for a steal on a Stihl.............

I really did not need one, and was not planning on buying one, I just wanted to see how prices etc. compared to dealers. The first shop I found 2 identical Stihl ms170 saws, a little suspicious at first because of two, I thought they both might have been bought as trimmers and possibly worn out and sold.

But the cases appeared almost perfect, and both had all the required numbers, so I thought they were both legit saws.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS170.html

One was priced $179.95, and the other $219.95, both were identical, except one was a little more used looking, the other appeared almost new. I inspected the air cleaners on both, one was dirty, the cheaper one looked perfect....Hmmmmm.

After a closer inspection, I noticed the $219.95 one had a cracked casing where the brake bar was mounted to the left side frame, pretty easy to miss. I pushed the brake and it pulled away from the frame........not good.

I asked the manager why they were priced different and he said they probably had more in one than the other.

I ask if he would take any less on the $179.95 one and he said no..... because they always marked them low enough from the start so they always sold very quickly.

I had no numbers to go by at this time so I thanked him and proceeded to my local stihl dealer.

I walked up to the counter loaded with shiny new Stihls and located the "new" model ms 170.......and almost fell over when I saw the "new" sticker price.

$169.95 for a brand new Stihl ms 170 with an obvious warranty and numerous other enticing tidbits I'm sure. This means that had I not thought to check, I would probably be stuck with a used ms 170 for at least $10 dollars more not counting tax, and I'm pretty sure they would not give a refund if I had wanted to return it for any reason (maybe store credit).

I went to another pawn shop, found another new looking trimmer, STIHL MS 192 T, looked perfect.........almost.........it too had the entire brake missing off the front ! I knew something looked odd, and after examination I realized it looked as if someone had maybe dropped it out of a tree, especially since it was a top held small trimmer.

It was priced $99 dollars, I was tempted, and figured a brake could not cost that much.........I came home and looked it up and here is what I found,

http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_MS192T.html

I'm not sure if above recall included the saw I looked at because I did not check the numbers, but after seeing this, it was plenty close enough for me..........

So it was a good day to just look and not buy...........Be careful, examine closely, and I think a warranty does mean a lot, along with a good company and local backing like many people we have on these forums.

By the way, I like pawn shops, sometimes I find great deals, I think you just have to inspect closely before you buy.

Robbie.

Good advice. Sure makes you think twice before buying something like that on ebay huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.