Chainsaw Sparks with spark arrestor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I got a 1970 Power Mac 6 runs great but when I bought it it was missing the spark arrestor screen. I took a screen that was large from an old craftsmen that I use for parts. I cut it to fit the shape of the Mac muffler. However, I wen to cut today and sparks were coming out. I did notice that sparks were coming when the saw was at full rpm with no load on it. When it had a load in the wood I looked multiple times and did not see a spark.

Is my cut job not good enough I did my best to make it fit the size of the muffler. Will the screen need cleaned already. Also, is it possible that I may need to tune the high setting on the carb?

Thanks all.

Hmmm...interesting. Is the screen glowing when it is spitting sparks? Could you be running hot (lean)? Is the current screen "peeling" in any way? Try a fine wire brush on the screen, that may help.

Well, I did cut the spark arrestor screen myself so the edges are roughly cut and in spots there are threads being split. However, this is just on the ends and I made sure that the spark arrestor covers the entire muffler and it is a tight fit.

I am thinking that the carb may be set to high hence when I run it at full rpm without load extra fuel and oil (most importantly) are getting into the muffler thus sparks. This would also explain that when a load is on it it stops sparking.

Let me know what you think!

It could be that at no load your RPM is just high enough to cause a lean condition and extra exhaust. How hard is it to pull the spark arrestor back out? You would be able to fine tune a "cause and effect" from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.