Chainsaw upgrade advice needed MS 270 to MS 361? UPDATED with photos of my new baby!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
Four years ago when I first started burning I bought an MS 270. I wanted something decent but never really having used a chainsaw before I wanted something easy to handle. Now I'm looking to get something with a little more power. I'm kind of settled in on Stihl because service is more convenient. There are is only one Huskey dealer 13 miles from me, at least four Stihl dealers within that area.

My question is, does anyone think upgrading to an MS 361 is worth while? I'm kind of stuck on that saw because of money. I've been looking on Craig's list but pickings on good saws are slim.

Anyone have expierence with both saws?

361 will get the job done. Its quick light and good on fuel, a major step up from where your at! :cheese:

Thats definately a higher class of saw, and you'll be able to feel the difference immediately. As to whether or not its worth it, thats your call. What kind of wood are you cutting, and where are you cutting it?

MS270 and MS361 are night and day different. Are you looking to run bars over 24"? If so I'd go bigger than the MS361 into the 044/046 MS440/MS460 category. If you aquire a 361 you'll most likely want to sell the 270 since it offers little advantage as a "small saw" when paired with the 361.

Last year I found myself "in between saws" - the 30+ year old 028WB I inherited died and was eventually replaced with an MS270. In that period I borrowed an MS361. No question it has more power - but it is also a bit bulkier. When I got the MS270, I didn't really miss the MS361, as the MS270 fit my needs well - the needs of a wood burner who has to trim the rounds or buck smaller logs in order that the splits fit in the stove. I suppose that is the question you have to ask - are you cutting enough to justify the expense/upgrade. I'm sure that the MS361 has some better parts and will last longer - but that 028 of my father in laws lasted a good while and I still got $70 on eBay for the power head even though it needed a complete overhaul and then some!

Wow, talk about fast! Thanks.

My plan was to run a 20" chain on the 361 since I've been getting by with an 18" on my 270. I get most of my wood from scrounging and try to stick with oak, cherry and locust. I do come across trees at work but I always have some type of large machine to lay them down :coolsmile:

Any idea what a 270 might be worth? I've only processed about 22 cords since I started and a lot of that was already bucked, so if I had to guess I would say the saw cut about 12 cords plus the normal trimming that comes along with processing.

Thanks again.

Well I am now a motivated seller of an MS 270 because of this:

2011-11-30_16-48-09_828.jpg

I settled on the 18" bar for two reasons, I've been able to get by with an 18" bar for 3 years now and I buck to 17" and have always used my bar as a guide.
Now I've got to find more of that 24" white oak!

If you think you like it now get rid of that green tie strap and go yellow. I like a 20'' so I don't have to bend over as far.

Fifelaker said:
If you think you like it now get rid of that green tie strap and go yellow. I like a 20'' so I don't have to bend over as far.

I hear you. For some reason the John Deere dealer I bought this from won't sell anything but the green chains. No one there seems to know why. I buy my chains elsewhere.

JoeyD said:
Fifelaker said:

I hear you. For some reason the John Deere dealer I bought this from won't sell anything but the green chains. No one there seems to know why. I buy my chains elsewhere.

18" on that saw should make it an animal. I like the yellow chains best too but the 33RSC chain that comes on that saw ain't all that bad either. Still a full chisel chain and no goofy tie straps.

Congrats! Awsome saw!

Status
Not open for further replies.