Chainsaw Winter kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinngetreu

Feeling the Heat
Nov 10, 2013
North Iowa
I did a quick search on the threads and didn't find much, so here goes.

While reading my OM, I discovered that they make a winter kit for really cold temp running. It is a shield that partly covers the air intake on the starter housing, sort of like cardboard on the grill of a truck.
Has anyone ever tried this? Has anyone ever needed this?
I run in cold temps, but I have never heard or thought of this.
I guess the real question is; Is this worth spending money on, or is it a non-issue?

Sounds like a waste to me. My saws for work are always in the weather. They stay on truck all year long and run the same everyday. Maybe if your in a very cold place it could be needed but aside from a few more pulls my work saw run fine in winter.

Makes a big difference in below freezing temps.
Keeps the carb from freezing/icing up in cold damp conditions.
For the average Joe firewood who can pick his times to cut prolly not an issue.
For the guy who has no choice and has to go no matter what the weather. DefinetLEE a plus .

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You didnt mention the brand but my Husky's have a flap on a pivot that is supposed to be rotated open in the air box for winter use. It pulls air from the piston area when open. When its warm, the vane gets rotated closed

Reactions: Nixon
You didnt mention the brand but my Husky's have a flap on a pivot that is supposed to be rotated open in the air box for winter use. It pulls air from the piston area when open. When its warm, the vane gets rotated closed

The one that I was looking at was for a Husky 555. It is the part number 522 98 65-01.
I watched a video on Youtube that showed the flap that you were talking about, but the OM doesn't mention that for the 555, 560xp models. The video that I saw did show both the flap and the cover.
I wonder if the flap is totally different or if it is used in conjunction with the cover. I would hate to use the cover and the flap and have the engine overheat in subzero temps. <>

I don't think the local dealer, Labonvilles, sells these covers and they supply the majority of the prologgers in Northern NH and Western Maine. I personally have never had an issue with cold operation especially since they started to equip Husky with primer bulbs. Generally cold air is great for an air cooled motor. My saw runs fine to the point where I dont want to go out as its too darn cold. I do swap the flap over at some point in early winter. I think it makes a heck of a lot more difference in the summer if its inadvertently left open as air cooled engines dont like heat.

Reactions: Sinngetreu
My MS 280 has a hot and cold adjustment. Pulls warm air from around the cylinder.
There is reference to a cover plate on the attached screen grab.

I think the intended purpose of blocking off the bottom of the cooling intake on the pull start is to keep from sucking snow in when you are bucking in deep fluffy snow. Yes duct tape will serve this purpose just fine.

Reactions: Fifelaker
I have never used the winter shutter on my saws.

Substantial harm can be done when it is forgotten about and run during hot weather.;sick

My new 550XP came with the cover in the box. I doubt I'll be using it. The most recent Stihl I bought had it listed as an option available at the dealer.

My new 550XP came with the cover in the box. I doubt I'll be using it. The most recent Stihl I bought had it listed as an option available at the dealer.

You can send me the one for your 550, I imagine it would work on mine as well. ==c

Status
Not open for further replies.