Chainsaw won't start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I used my chainsaw about two weeks ago and ran it out of gas. I filled it up last night and tried as I might now I can't get it started. Spark plug is new last fall, fuel is fine, and bar oil is full too. If it sets for a couple of months it can be stubborn but not usually this stubborn after two weeks.

Any recommendations?

fv

Pull the plug. Check if its wet, then check for spark.

Have you checked the condition of the fuel line?

Reactions: smokinj
Chances are you flooded it. Cold smaller saw 60cc- can be very hard to catch that first pop.

If the plug is dry after you try to start it, check the fuel line. Sometimes after they dry out, they can crack causing an air leak.

I'm going to pull the plug and try again in a little bit. It's sitting in the sun warming itself right now. She is an old saw and hopefully being nice will help.

fv

I'm going to pull the plug and try again in a little bit. It's sitting in the sun warming itself right now. She is an old saw and hopefully being nice will help.

fv
This is probably not the problem , but check your impulse line while you're looking at the fuel line . Also look to see if your filter isn't plugged up .

Well, I will probably be told I never should have done this but I did. I sprayed some starter fluid in the chamber and got her started. She ran just fine after that. Stopped it and started it on purpose and she did just fine. Let the beating commence.

fv

Well, I will probably be told I never should have done this but I did. I sprayed some starter fluid in the chamber and got her started.

Carburetor cleaner works just fine and is safer for you and the saw.

Cut on. Sounds like it may have flooded. Gonna have to get on making that "Clearing a flooded saw" video.

Carburetor cleaner works just fine and is safer for you and the saw.

Cut on. Sounds like it may have flooded. Gonna have to get on making that "Clearing a flooded saw" video.

Please do! Non-mechanically inclined people like me would appreciate it.

fv

Reactions: MasterMech
Status
Not open for further replies.