Chainsaw won't start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gym membership maybe.... I've seen people start stihl saws a couple different ways. drop start with full trigger pull is a way i've never been able to master. For larger saws I usually set the saw on the ground. thats how my dad showed me to do it when i was little. then I put my left hand where it goes and my left toe of my boot on the bottom of the throttle handle. This keeps the saw perfectly still and predictable. when i got older i started starting them standing up just holding the saw in my left hand. Cold Cold saws are tougher to pull than a saw that is already warmed up and by that I mean the same saw I start when it is 32 degrees outside is a lot easier to pull when its 100 degrees.

I'd recommend some practice even some rows, pullups, or back workouts to strengthen the muscles. once you get the technique, speed, and strength it'll be second nature to pull fast.

The drop start method mentioned will probably be easiest for you. Gravity is your friend. Maybe not the safest way but I've been drop starting saws most of my life. Even my 17 lb 394XP and I've yet to have an accident. You just need to pay attention to what you're doing. You could always take the chain off until you get the hang of it. Just be careful not to over rev it with no chain. Also realize the saw may move a bit more when drop starting with the chain on due to the centrifugal force of the chain. Be careful and good luck.

Set choke and throttle as needed, hold front handle with left hand, left arm partially bent, grab starter handle with right hand, pull rope and straighten left arm at same time, you will be pushing the saw away from you and gaining some engine start RPM's at the same time.

Speed is the key, also when you pull the rope to set the engine position, allow the rope to recoil into the saw before fully pulling to start the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.