1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

chainsaw

Post in 'The Gear' started by kdiman, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdiman

kdiman New Member

Loc:
    Nebraska
    I am looking to buy another chainsaw but i don't have alot of money to spend to get any. What would you guys recommend??

Kelly

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chad3

chad3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeast CT
    Buy used. Serious, you can get a pretty good saw if you are a bit patient and look. MOST aren't really beat too bad, but if they look bad you may want to walk away. I'd look for a Stihl mid-grade (usually have an orange handle) but if you find a pro saw (white rear handle) may be a find so check it out. What size are you looking for or what are you going to cut? I picked up a 361 recently and I am very happy with it compared to my older 036. Don't know if you can swing $$$ but a new saw for 7-800 for 15-20 years of service for home isn't really that bad.
    Good luck.
    chad
  3. kdiman

kdiman New Member

Loc:
    Nebraska
    I have a Stihl 032 it is like 25 years old. But i am kinda looking for something smaller than the 032 it is almost to big for me to use all day. So something around a 16" is probably what i need.

Kelly
  4. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    How much did you have to spend?
  5. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    I agree that if money is tight you should look for a good quality used saw in good condition. It may take a while to come across a good deal, but it can be worth the wait. I would rather buy a good (pro) quality used saw than a "cheapie" new one.

You may also want to check out the rental department at Home Depot. They sell their used saws after a couple of years use and they are a pretty good deal. I think their smaller Makita saw has an 18" bar, but you could always swap that for a shorter one. Ask to see the rental and repair history if you decide to go that route.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.