chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiman

Jul 3, 2007
Nebraska
I am looking to buy another chainsaw but i don't have alot of money to spend to get any. What would you guys recommend??

Kelly

Buy used. Serious, you can get a pretty good saw if you are a bit patient and look. MOST aren't really beat too bad, but if they look bad you may want to walk away. I'd look for a Stihl mid-grade (usually have an orange handle) but if you find a pro saw (white rear handle) may be a find so check it out. What size are you looking for or what are you going to cut? I picked up a 361 recently and I am very happy with it compared to my older 036. Don't know if you can swing $$$ but a new saw for 7-800 for 15-20 years of service for home isn't really that bad.
Good luck.
chad

I have a Stihl 032 it is like 25 years old. But i am kinda looking for something smaller than the 032 it is almost to big for me to use all day. So something around a 16" is probably what i need.

Kelly

I agree that if money is tight you should look for a good quality used saw in good condition. It may take a while to come across a good deal, but it can be worth the wait. I would rather buy a good (pro) quality used saw than a "cheapie" new one.

You may also want to check out the rental department at Home Depot. They sell their used saws after a couple of years use and they are a pretty good deal. I think their smaller Makita saw has an 18" bar, but you could always swap that for a shorter one. Ask to see the rental and repair history if you decide to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.