Chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYLife

Burning Hunk
Sep 3, 2012
Mohegan Lake NY
What do you recommend for a saw for around $450

Is there something wrong with your 290? The 455 Rancher is the comparible Husky.

Is there something wrong with your 290? The 455 Rancher is the comparible Husky.
290 is great. I just want to pick something else up. I lend the 290 out to family and friends and the next one I get is only for me

First piece of advice is to stop loaning your saw out. Unless you are lending out PPE and a two hour training session, let them kill themselves with someone else's saw.

Actually, I'm not always so bitter. It was a long day.

Reactions: NYLife
Just one more reason I dont loan out ANY tools anymore.To friends OR family.If/when I have the time,I'll go to their place,have the tools with me,do the work & return home.

I have a 455 Rancher and for just a wood cutting for my self it is a very good saw. I have a 20" bar and it cuts plenty fast.

whew.

tough crowd huh?

Reactions: zap
I have a Husky 44 thats been my old stand by since 1987

But would you go out and get yourself the Stihl equivalent as it's stable mate? And if you would, why?
I guess since I'm new to the wood game I would like to try something new. I guess after a while you get tired of eating chicken so you go out and get some steak lol

Reactions: Huntindog1
I'd look for something bigger and used. I'd imagine you could get an 066 for around the range you are looking to spend.

455 is a good saw.
Watch CL, seem to be on there frequently

I've lent my saw to a friend in the past. The next day he went and bought one.

As for putting a Husky next to it? Where does one come up with such a foolish idea!! lol All I can say is it would have to be FREE!!

I just got a 290 with a 16" bar. I'm very happy and it was $425 out the door. Mind you, I never ran a Husqvarna, so this is a step-up in quality for me. For others, they are used to more saw, so a new saw at $450 may be a step down from what they're used to

Sell your 290 for ~$250-300 on CL, add that to your budget and get a 362 or 562XP, and tell those moochers to get their own saw!

Part of me is kidding, but the above sentence may give you some ideas. ;)

Reactions: amateur cutter
I'd loan on my 290 to my friends without much worry. It's not my main saw and I trust my friends.

http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/3337946777.html
If you are looking for good, clean, used then check out this guy.
He does chainsaws on the side and has some nice stuff.
(i'm not related, just picked up saws in the past from him)

Buy a Jonsered 2152 or a 2153(same as a 346xp) you wont be disappointed. Several friends bought new saws at the same time (290 & 455r) and bad mouthed Jonny Until they ran it. They both really like the anti-vibe it has compared to their own saws. Keep in mind that those two saws are bigger and that I keep up with them no problem. They say that is because of my filing technique but I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.