Chalk full of moosey goodness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was great. And I'd be keepin' an eye out for Mummy, too! I saw something similar on the news the other day, only it was a deer whose hind legs were caught in a similar fence.

Friend of mine found a doe that was caught in his fence, but the coyote had already stripped most of it. It was probably there for 4 - 5 days before he found it.

I know you guys are saying to watch out for mom, but really even baby is big enough to hurt you if he wanted to. He is as big as a small horse.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Makes you wonder if he was an orphan since Mom doesn't seem to be around...but you would want to keep an eye open just in case;) Big enough on his own to do some damage but doesn't seem very reactive when they are trying to free him.

What I liked most about the video was how quiet and methodical the guys were. They did what they had to do and did nothing to rile the calf up. It was a perfect operation.

Reactions: 1750
Good job by those guys to free the animal without anyone getting hurt.

Quite a few years ago, we were driving home from an ice fishing weekend (2 trucks + gear). Along one stretch of the remote highway, I looked in the mirror and saw that the truck behind us was no longer there. We stopped, waited a few minutes, then turned around and went back a half mile or so. A small doe walked across the road in front of us just before we spotted them - didn't think much of it. There they were stopped alongside a pond near the bend in the road. One of them (my BIL) happened to notice a deer had gone through the ice at the far side of the pond, and was struggling to get out. They pulled over, took a couple of long tie-downs off the trailer, walked round the far edge to where the doe was stuck, and they managed to loop one of the straps around her neck and then they pulled her out. She collapsed on the ice for a couple of minutes (completely exhausted) then got to her feet and slowly walked away (and crossed the road in front of us). No video cameras back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.