Champion 34 ton splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
And $$$!
Most people could afford to add a log lift to their splitter if they really want one...about half the cost of a big box/farm store splitter to add the lift option...or less if you can fab/weld/etc...
but why? Don't you still need to muscle the round onto the lifter? Other than the occasional huge 4 footer, is it much easier than simply rolling the round onto the foot of the vertical splitter?

I suppose things would be different if my back hurt too much to sit on a crate and split all day.

Reactions: crstrode
Don't you still need to muscle the round onto the lifter? Other than the occasional huge 4 footer, is it much easier than simply rolling the round onto the foot of the vertical splitter?

I suppose things would be different if my back hurt too much to sit on a crate and split all day.
Yeah, but its pretty easy to roll them onto the lift, and once you do you are done with the hard part...roll it onto the splitter beam once up, half it, quarter it, and if the splitter is set up right, all the pieces can sit to the side until processed, no more lifting...all in all I call it a great upgrade, unless you only process "Goldilocks" wood (the perfect rounds, that are always 12 -16" diam)

Reactions: Highbeam
unless you only process "Goldilocks" wood (the perfect rounds, that are always 12 -16" diam)

That's pretty much what I do seeing I hand split all the large rounds out in the woods to make them more manageable. It makes for a good cardio workout in the dead of winter and also keeps me toasty warm in the process. :) Then when it comes time to split they are all very manageable.

Due to that a log lift would be useless for me. I'd also get irritated at how slow it would be. I could probably lift 3+ pieces to every one the lift would do.

My log lift takes 3 seconds per Direction
So 6 sec plus whatever time to get them in position to be lifted. In the time it takes to get a round in position to be lifted, it would have already been sitting on my splitter. Again, I'm talking in my situation with manageable log sizes. Completely understand the use of one for very large rounds. In that case, I'd rather do a log lift vs split vertical.

If my only choice was to split vertical, I'd sooner buy wood...or buy/build a standup vertical unit, and then you are right back to needing a log lift of some type, so...

If my only choice was to split vertical, I'd sooner buy wood...or buy/build a standup vertical unit, and then you are right back to needing a log lift of some type, so...
Yep, if you insist on standing up while doing your work then splitting wood is significantly harder.

When you run a chainsaw, must you also stand fully upright the whole time? I find bending over while cutting much harder on my back then sitting on a stool splitting rounds vertically.

When you run a chainsaw, must you also stand fully upright the whole time? I find bending over while cutting much harder on my back then sitting on a stool splitting rounds vertically.
No, but I tend to run longer bars to limit the bending over, and will kneel for a bit if I have too...don't tend to have marathon bucking sessions either. For some reason sitting low to the ground and trying to work like that just gets my back all knotted up!
I have gone to using a pair (one in each hand, to balance the load on my back) of pickeroons to move rounds with too...stab n drag...then with some practice you can just swing the rounds right up on the splitter or truck too, as long as they aren't too large.
Moving wood this way can really extend how long I can go at it before I start to "feel it"

No, but I tend to run longer bars to limit the bending over, and will kneel for a bit if I have too...don't tend to have marathon bucking sessions either. For some reason sitting low to the ground and trying to work like that just gets my back all knotted up!
I have gone to using a pair (one in each hand, to balance the load on my back) of pickeroons to move rounds with too...stab n drag...then with some practice you can just swing the rounds right up on the splitter or truck too, as long as they aren't too large.
Moving wood this way can really extend how long I can go at it before I start to "feel it"
Nice. I've been thinking about a pickeroon to help grab more rounds from my seated position in front of the splitter. Also for pulling rounds forward to the tailgate in the bed of the truck.

Nice. I've been thinking about a pickeroon to help grab more rounds from my seated position in front of the splitter. Also for pulling rounds forward to the tailgate in the bed of the truck.
If I go somewhere to work wood and forget them I feel like I'm handicapped without them! I first made a pair, then seen Menards had some for $20/ea, those work better than mine just due to the geometry on the tip...they grab n hold pretty well! (this is a poor pic of the tip, but...) After getting used to them you can even release rounds with just a lil flick the right way

Again, I'm talking in my situation with manageable log sizes.
20161126_131142.jpg
I consider this manageable.😆😆😆

Isn't the log lift always in your way, a real knee-banger, when standing at the splitter?

Isn't the log lift always in your way, a real knee-banger, when standing at the splitter?
No mine is on the opposite side that I work from
It is also only used for rounds that I can not lift
The rest of the time it is positioned on the ground out of the way.

weight factor of tipping splitter - i just put one of those trailer, swing adj stands up in that area no more tipping. as far as a lift speed depends on how restricted the line is at full bore likely toss that big round aways away. There are adj. flow valves for that.

No mine is on the opposite side that I work from
It is also only used for rounds that I can not lift
The rest of the time it is positioned on the ground out of the way.
This ^ ^ ^

Interesting. I work from the side of my splitter with the SC valve, and mounted a log catcher on the other side. I park the splitter with the log catcher facing the pile onto which I'm stacking, and my front-end loader bucket full of rounds on the side where I'm working. Swing rounds from bucket onto beam, split, push onto log catcher, and repeat until catcher is full. Then I step around the end of the splitter, start retrieving splits from the catcher and putting them on the stack.

In your cases of log lifter on that side, how does this work? Do you use the lifter as a log catcher, as well?

In your cases of log lifter on that side, how does this work? Do you use the lifter as a log catcher, as well?
Yes, it works as a LARGE log catcher...some will even load up 3-4 rounds at a time on them.

Reactions: Ashful and Jags