Champion Power Equipment Gas Powered Log Splitter, 22-Ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennsyltucky Chris

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2014
Nockamixon, Pa
I have been using a 7-ton splitter, which actually works prtty well. The 25 second cycle time makes splitting cords a little laborous. So, being that I split 4 cords this year, and I currently have 6 cords worth of oak rounds in my back yard for next year, I need an upgrade. I came across this:

e860b003056f6d247db1f678eb3626c3.png

7efc1c0efcaaea7afc34dc572a6ac85f.png

I like the price, the cycle time and the fact that I don't have to split on my knees, but I'm unfamiliar with this brand.Is it a quality product?

Can anyone offer some assistance? Thanks.

I have a personal dislike for the style of mount they use on the cylinder. I have seen the pegs get tore off and render the cylinder VERY broke. Again - that is a personal dislike. There are a couple of MFGs that have used that style - they are cheaper to build.
Have you looked at the Husky 22 ton? That machine is in the same price range and pretty legendary around here.

It's not a bad unit, it's just that there are better for a little more money. We (buddy and I) bought a 17 ton Champion about 5 years ago and we split an average of 8 cords a year with it. It's had some minor motor problems - gaskets, and we had to have the cylinder and valve re-built. It was on sale when we bought it, so we thought it was pretty low risk. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought something better, preferably with a Honda engine.

My other neighbour bought that splitter last year - though he got it at costco and it has a Honda motor. If I had known about them when he got it, I might have considered getting the one at Costco because of the Honda motor. He's used it for abut 20 cords with his BIL and no issues so far.

FWIW - It's not really that much of a gamble, treat the engine right, change the oil 2 or 3 times in the first few hours and it'll probably give you years of good service. Having had to do some repairs on ours, I can tell you that pretty much everything on them is fairly standard equipment (valve, pump, cylinder, motor, even the hoses) and can all be had at a decent equipment supply store. I even looked at new motors last year and can find a decent replacement motor for for a few hundred bucks if it ever does die.

The only thing I dislike about the design is there is no pillar under the front of the splitter, so if you drop a really heavy round on it, it will sometimes lean forward. Easy enuf to fix - we just cut a 4X4 and shove it under if we know we're doing any really big rounds.

I guess I'm a little on the fence - would I buy another one, maybe not, IF I could find another good brand for a couple of hundred more. Would I buy another brand for twice the money, nope.

I have a personal dislike for the style of mount they use on the cylinder. I have seen the pegs get tore off and render the cylinder VERY broke. Again - that is a personal dislike. There are a couple of MFGs that have used that style - they are cheaper to build.
Have you looked at the Husky 22 ton? That machine is in the same price range and pretty legendary around here.

What ever that was must have been made of swiss cheeze. Ours had 5/8" threaded rod through 1/4" steel plate to hold it together. Ain't no way that's getting ripped off my the force of the ram. The structure of the Champion is decent, it's the motor and cylinder that worry me a little.

There was one a while back on this very site that showed the trunnion mount tore out of the side. It does happen.

Yes, those mounts are all over the internet for failures. Some with injury involved from hot hydraulic fluid being sprayed. I personally would look at the DHT that is now available at Menards for less money I believe. I do have a Champion power equipment generator that I have not had a single issue with for 6 years.

Reactions: Fifelaker
Here's an older review so things may have been improved http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=52892.0

As far as personal experience, a friend bot the 22 ton via Cabela's last October. I believe it had the Honda motor. It was the first time ever seeing a hydraulic splitter in action and I was impressed with its performance. I thought the side wings to hold the rounds were very good features and they didn't bend on us. We were splitting only 14" dia oak 20" long, so maybe that doesn't qualify for a true test, but it split everything we loaded.

Anyway good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Jags, I am familiar with the Huskee 22 ton. I saw it for $950 a couple weeks ago. I think I might buy that. I see a lot of people own them. There's obviously a reason for that,

Thanks again.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Jags, I am familiar with the Huskee 22 ton. I saw it for $950 a couple weeks ago. I think I might buy that. I see a lot of people own them. There's obviously a reason for that,

Thanks again.[/quote
Just missed 2 Huskee 22 ton like new on CL for $700.00 each. Tractor supply has them for $999.00 new. I'm fortunate to have 5 TSC stores in a 50 mile radius of me, one was having their grand opening This past weekend with 10% off, my local store 7 mi. away matched that price $899.00. I wasn't sold on a Huskee myself but a lot of good reviews on this site changed my mind. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.