Champion Spark Plug RC12YC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I bought this extra spark plug at our local stihl dealer an it did not come in a box, so I was wondering what the correct gap is.

Is this chart correct 0.030 gap.

Edit / The plug is for the splitter with this engine, 305cc Briggs & Stratton 13.50 Gross Torque.

http://www.jsesc.com/mfg_docs/ste/Spark_Plug_Application.pdf

zap

EatenByLimestone said:
Might depend on the saw and the strength of its ignition system.

Matt

Matt sorry about that the spark plug is for the splitter which is a 305cc Briggs & Stratton 13.50 Gross Torque.

zap

.030 is usually a good # to go with if you don't have any motor specific info to go off of.

Sounds about right for a Briggs I can check my books today. and let you know.

Not positive, but I think proper plug gap is an engine manufacturer spec, not a plug plug manufacturer. Look up your engine specs and see what B&S says is the right plug gap.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

mayhem said:
Not positive, but I think proper plug gap is an engine manufacturer spec, not a plug plug manufacturer. Look up your engine specs and see what B&S says is the right plug gap.

http://www.sparkplugs.com/

mayhem I'll find the specs in the manual for the motor tonight, this is what I found online for the briggs and stratton 1350 series 305cc engine for the spark plug gap for the RC12YC.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2123.jpg
    100_2123.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 468
Zap, if B&S calls for that gap on their motor specs, then that's gonna be what you should use. Your splitter manual might have a reference, but it's gonna be the same, I bet.

Danno77 said:
Zap, if B&S calls for that gap on their motor specs, then that's gonna be what you should use. Your splitter manual might have a reference, but it's gonna be the same, I bet.

Danno77 I stopped by the shop that we purchased the splitter from and one guy said 0.020 and another said 0.040, then I found this online (0.030) so I'll look in the manual for the motor and go off that.

zap

My books all say .030 . thats where I would set it.

Deere10 said:
My books all say .030 . thats where I would set it.

Deere I checked the manual for the motor on the splitter and it was 0.030, snowblower was the same and the chainsaw is 0.020 inches..

I stopped by Advanced Auto tonight and picked up a gap wheel.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2127.jpg
    100_2127.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 336
You may have just opened up a can of worms using a beveled gap wheel. :lol:

It should work fine, as well as if you just threw the plug in with the original .030 gap.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
You may have just opened up a can of worms using a beveled gap wheel. :lol:

It should work fine, as well as if you just threw the plug in with the original .030 gap.

Matt

I take it the wire type feeler gauge is more accurate.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.