Changed Door Gasket - Some ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 19, 2009
N. Indiana
So I finally got around to changing my door gasket today on the Nap 1101. 3rd year burning and just felt like a change was needed. Pulled out old, cleaned old cement as best as could (a real pain!), and slapped in new. Couple of issues and ?'s:

1) I could not put in new gasket and test door. Channel wasn't deep enough to hold it so I had to just put in. It definitely shuts really hard. Had to put some weight on it. I'm assuming this is okay at first and will lossen up a bit over time? What if it doesn't?

2) Put the ends on the hinge side. Tried hard to get the seam as tight as possible. Not pleased with it. Any hints or ideas? Hoping it won't fringe as bad as old one did which was dead center on the bottom of door.

3) Video on YouTube says to let cement set up couple of hours. Cement tube says 24 hour set up time. Which is right? Going to be cold tonight, would like to get a fire going this evening.

All in all, not too bad a job. I think I will see a better performance with it.

I am not familar with your stove, but don't see why you would have a problem. I have replaced these "rope gaskets" on a couple of different stoves. Are you sure you are using the right size gasket? They come in different sizes and you have to get the right one for it to work right. I always would plan to do mine on a moderate day. Let the fire go out, stove cool, then I would take my door off. I would remove all the old gasket and glue and clean the groove out. I would then lay out the gasket and dry fit in place so it can be cut to the right length. The glue I used (from Lowe's) only had to set up about 15-30 minutes to get tacky. When it did, I put the gasket in the groove and pushed in place. I would then rehang the door and cover the gasket area with a newspaper so the glue would not stick to the door and stove. It only took a couple hours before you could build a fire. After doing this, it will take a little more force to get the door closed for the first couple of days until the new gasket takes it's shape. For me, it took about an hour from the time I pulled the door, cleaned it, installed new glue and gasket, and then rehung the door.

I did not have any problems replacing mine fit perfect in grove and got snug seal when shut the door.

I am not familar with your stove, but don't see why you would have a problem. I have replaced these "rope gaskets" on a couple of different stoves. Are you sure you are using the right size gasket? They come in different sizes and you have to get the right one for it to work right. I always would plan to do mine on a moderate day. Let the fire go out, stove cool, then I would take my door off. I would remove all the old gasket and glue and clean the groove out. I would then lay out the gasket and dry fit in place so it can be cut to the right length. The glue I used (from Lowe's) only had to set up about 15-30 minutes to get tacky. When it did, I put the gasket in the groove and pushed in place. I would then rehang the door and cover the gasket area with a newspaper so the glue would not stick to the door and stove. It only took a couple hours before you could build a fire. After doing this, it will take a little more force to get the door closed for the first couple of days until the new gasket takes it's shape. For me, it took about an hour from the time I pulled the door, cleaned it, installed new glue and gasket, and then rehung the door.

Ordered directly from Napoleon so it's right size. They also threw in tube of cement.

I did not use that much cement that I would have to worry about it seeping out onto door or stove. Stuff was pretty tacky straight out of tube. Only called for a 1/4" bead.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I never went with a bead. I simply put some in there and used a popsicle stick to smear it on all the grooved surfaces. As for the fray in the rope you mentioned, make sure you coat the ends with some of the glue to keep it from unraveling...like you would burn the ends of a nylon rope when it is cut. I would suggest the newspaper between the door and stove simply to keep them from sticking together. It can be torn off when dry.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
So I finally got around to changing my door gasket today on the Nap 1101. 3rd year burning and just felt like a change was needed. Pulled out old, cleaned old cement as best as could (a real pain!), and slapped in new.

I see no need of changing a gasket unless it needs to be done. Our present stove is on it's 6th year and is fine. Our last stove we did have to change the door gasket somewhere at around 20 years. It simply did not need changing. This has been the case with every stove we've had. If it isn't broken, we try our best to not fix it.

Ours was tight to close at first.....it gets easier after the first burn. Is your door adjustable ???....maybe back off a bit ???

Status
Not open for further replies.