Changed my Mind!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was one of the last trees I cut before I shut it down for the winter, thought it was to punky but after looking at it I decided we would burn it in the shoulder season this fall.

Not sure what type of tree it is but I'll grab it this weekend. I think one of the forum members from Texas said the wood was good and I should burn it.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2605.jpg
    100_2605.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 623
  • 100_2606.jpg
    100_2606.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 634
Zap, I have burnt stuff like that in the shoulder season before without a problem as it just looks a little punky. Big thing to remember with slightly punky wood it that it really is a sponge so make sure you split it and get it under cover for the summer so it doesn't keep soaking up the water.

certified106 said:
Zap, I have burnt stuff like that in the shoulder season before without a problem as it just looks a little punky. Big thing to remember with slightly punky wood it that it really is a sponge so make sure you split it and get it under cover for the summer so it doesn't keep soaking up the water.

certified106 thanks, we have a good spot with full sun & wind for about two cord of wood we will use for the shoulder season or however long it last.

Last year we burned cherry in the shoulder season and this year we plan on quaking aspen plus some basswood.

Zap

I'm with Tex, that looks like wood. This stuff I scraped out of the middle of the big Silver Maple rounds yesterday was punk. You could have wrung the water out of it.

Attachments

• 040311 punk.jpg
    040311 punk.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 578
Red "stain" inside = sign of boxelder maple. Will go punky fast if not c/s/s. Low BTU's for a hardwood.

TreePointer said:
Red "stain" inside = sign of boxelder maple. Will go punky fast if not c/s/s. Low BTU's for a hardwood.

What is Boxelder Maple?

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
I'm with Tex, that looks like wood. This stuff I scraped out of the middle of the big Silver Maple rounds yesterday was punk. You could have wrung the water out of it.

Does it become firepit wood or just let it dry for later.

Zap

Here is some WET wood. The water poured out as soon as I cut the bark. The pile is all that is left of the tops and small branches of 10 trees.

Attachments

• Wet Wood.jpg
    Wet Wood.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 574
  • Chipping.jpg
    Chipping.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 558
Hunderliggur said:
Here is some WET wood. The water poured out as soon as I cut the bark. The pile is all that is left of the tops and small branches of 10 trees.

Nice rig, what type of tree is that?

Zap

"...what type of tree is that?" -> dead now, I think it was a choke cherry. About 8" diameter, double trunk from about 8" above the ground. We have 42 acres of woods and 2 acres for the house and paddock. I am slowly clearing 12 more acres. For that, I have the Bobcat with pallet forks (to move logs), chipper (for the branches), stump grinder (you need a permit here to dig a stump, but not to grind a stump), and a 5' bush hog. This spring I hope to get an acre cleared and plenty of wood put up for a couple of years from now. I still have two large piles of logs from the orginal clearing (some punky, but it all burns) to use up, no to mention the huge pile of limbs.

Hunderliggur said:
"...what type of tree is that?" -> dead now, I think it was a choke cherry. About 8" diameter, double trunk from about 8" above the ground. We have 42 acres of woods and 2 acres for the house and paddock. I am slowly clearing 12 more acres. For that, I have the Bobcat with pallet forks (to move logs), chipper (for the branches), stump grinder (you need a permit here to dig a stump, but not to grind a stump), and a 5' bush hog. This spring I hope to get an acre cleared and plenty of wood put up for a couple of years from now. I still have two large piles of logs from the orginal clearing (some punky, but it all burns) to use up, no to mention the huge pile of limbs.

Sounds like you will be plenty busy and have a nice supply of wood. Make sure you keep the pictures coming.

Zap

+ 1 on boxelder. Not bad wood, not great either.

zapny said:
Does it become firepit wood or just let it dry for later.

It will probably blow away in the wind when it dries out.

Hunderliggur said:

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?!?!?!?!?"- The Joker

Is anybody else thinkin elm? Zap, I have cut many logs like your picture over the years and they were elm. No bark and down on the ground. If you split in two and there isn't much punk to it, well then it is worth stacking. If found the ones that are dark and really heavy, naturally are holding alot of water and usually turn out to be too far gone to go in the pile. Boxelder, huh. I think I got alittle bit of that in my last round of cutting. Thanks for the I.D.

FireNewbie said:
Is anybody else thinkin elm? Zap, I have cut many logs like your picture over the years and they were elm. No bark and down on the ground. If you split in two and there isn't much punk to it, well then it is worth stacking. If found the ones that are dark and really heavy, naturally are holding alot of water and usually turn out to be too far gone to go in the pile. Boxelder, huh. I think I got alittle bit of that in my last round of cutting. Thanks for the I.D.

I'll take a run back in Thursday afternoon and split it and take some pictures. The area it comes from has white pine,cherry,ironwood and basswood.

Zap

[quote author="TreePointer" date="1301977673"]Usually shortened to just "boxelder."

TreePointer, I went back in and split a few rounds.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2753.jpg
    100_2753.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_2754.jpg
    100_2754.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.