Changed my plans on pellet burning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
, during the past 2 seasons of burning pellets, I have been retired so I have been able to
be around my Harman during the day which meant OCD moments of scraping, pulling down small Ash piles even before it was needed... The need to burn low ash pellets wasn't a priority since being home alot I was able to "check it out" whenever I wanted...
Well, I started a part time job deliverying Auto parts that went from 2 days a week to 4 days now..
Although my Harman will burn anything, I Along with others would burn the heat sufficient but ashy pellets
from Home depot, along with Good stuff thruout winter...
I conclude that having extra money now I Plan to pay a bit xtra for the lowest ash pellets
since I won't be home 8-9 hrs the days I work and this will avoid the sometimes Ash dams that can smother the flames,[ although my harman flame never went out] prob since I was always there pulling ash away many times thruout the day/evening, I Will feel better burning the cleaner stuff while I am gone.

btw: ordered all my pellets this Early Buy spring BEFORE I got the job or I would have gone with all Douglas fir Blazers or Okanigan Firs although my winter stash of Energex Golden low ash, Lignetics[Green Logo], & Lacretes should be fine this winter. Heck. might end up sticking with those
3 brands.. we'll see...

Last edited:
Hmm, I work and am away from home at least 12 hours a day (sometimes up to 18), and didn't have that much trouble with ash dams in the P61a using Curans (which, IMO burned ashier and colder than HD FSU's). I will admit the fire would get deep in the throat, but never seemed to threaten to go out. I made sure to pull out the ash dams in the morning (oh joy at 3:45 AM) and when I got home from work. However, it would not have been catastrophic if the fire had been smothered as I have another stove heating the main floor (which is the stove that got the better FSU's).

That being said, if you can afford to burn the better stuff, all the better. I was super impressed with the Vermont's that I got, but can't justify the extra expense with all the other things I have to spend money on housewise.

Sounds then like some pellet stoves require a lot of attention?
Harmans do not require daily attention,, maybe a 10 seconds scraping or 2 depending on pellet brand.
some of us pellet burners are over the top when it comes to maintaining..
picture the guy who washs/waxes/ & details his car every 2 weeks regardless if it needs it.

Last edited:
Hmm, I work and am away from home at least 12 hours a day (sometimes up to 18), and didn't have that much trouble with ash dams in the P61a using Curans (which, IMO burned ashier and colder than HD FSU's). I will admit the fire would get deep in the throat, but never seemed to threaten to go out. I made sure to pull out the ash dams in the morning (oh joy at 3:45 AM) and when I got home from work. However, it would not have been catastrophic if the fire had been smothered as I have another stove heating the main floor (which is the stove that got the better FSU's).

That being said, if you can afford to burn the better stuff, all the better. I was super impressed with the Vermont's that I got, but can't justify the extra expense with all the other things I have to spend money on housewise.
I'm probabley relating more to Stove chows and the mountain of ash they leave.
They never caused a flame out but I always exspected it when occasionally I was gone all day..

Maybe you can buy a bigger truck with this newfound wealth, I can burn a week straight burning cheap ashy pellet's, only time is to quick open the door to push away the ash falling into the burnpot a few times.

Attachments

• 20140317_191250_resized.jpg
    20140317_191250_resized.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 155
I use Selkirk DT on both my Harmans. It keeps the burn air warmer and dryer so the ash is more fluffy and no problems clogging the burn pot! IMHO
:) I also like the vacuum cleanout! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Sounds then like some pellet stoves require a lot of attention?
Burning a bag a day I cleaned the pot on the Quad 1200i once every 2 weeks. During the 2 bag a day dead cold of winter I would do this once a week. This was great for my wife when I was traveling. She didn't like having to mess with the stove outside of feeding the hopper.

As the OP I should specify that I have zero Ash problems with my Harman regardless of Pellets burned.
I would like to burn the top of the line Douglas Firs due to the small amount of ash just to see if it's worth it down the road.

Reactions: bogieb
I tried vermonts this past winter when I needed another ton. They were only $3 more than the Greene Team ($300 vs $297) that we were burning but much less ash and the same great heat output as the GT's. When I found out that Home & Hearth was still "only" getting $300/ton for the Vermonts figured I'd get all vermonts this season.

Wife and I are gone from 8-5 M-F. The P43 is probably in maintenance burn most of the day (thermostat set for 65 from 8:30-4, kicks up to 70 at 4 so the house is nice and warm when we get home). Did notice a smaller ash mound in the burn pot with the Vermonts. But also noticed that they stick to the sides of the hopper more than the GT. The softwood vermonts not as hard and shiny as the hardwood GTmakes them prone to stick more?

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.