Changed Nozzle in EKO 25 This morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My EKO seems to be working fine with my deteriorated nozzil fine, but I'm certain efficiency is suffering. I really don't want to take on this changeout project. How did you get the angle correct for the cut? I think there are two angles, is that correct?

Just a thought, but - if one wanted to try to make it through the season with a deteriorated nozzle, they might be able to do it by getting a grate in there over it. (If they can't do a plate like others have done).

Varms have a big round hole for a nozzle. (Think it's a bit oblong, actually). I think I am getting much better burns by doing that. I have used a regular cheap fireplace grate with the legs cut off it (one with narrower bar spacing). This winter I am burning through a set of old Broil King BBQ cooking grids that I swapped out of the BBQ this summer. Keeps the coals up top until they get turned to ashes, maintains a good coal bed.

My EKO seems to be working fine with my deteriorated nozzil fine, but I'm certain efficiency is suffering. I really don't want to take on this changeout project. How did you get the angle correct for the cut? I think there are two angles, is that correct?
I just eyeballed the angle and used trial and error to fit mine in the recess. Using a right anle grindor with tile and stone disc on it.

I measured the opening, measured the top of the new nozzle, divided by 2 and cut that amount off each side. 90 degrees to the top. That worked fine on the width but after making my cuts on the length I had to grind the angle on the lower portion to match the angle of the refractory. I just eyeballed it. Be sure to remove the same amount on each end to keep the air ports lined up.

For the angle, I did the same as Fred but cut the new nozzle with a tile wet saw and got a nice straight line. Good solution if you have a small wet saw already.
The nozzle deterioration became an issue for me when it got to the point that the bottom chamber would fill up with ash and large coals daily. With my new nozzle and stainless plate over top, I have very little ash and coals in the bottom. I am also loading less often and using much less wood than previous seasons.

Something else for a temp solution. I bought several firebricks to replace my cracked U block in the bottom chamber. I took one of these roughly 4x8 bricks and cut a crude slot probably narrower than the original with a cheap chop saw with masonary blade. Seems to work great! I still plan to do a pour in place solution after winter. Nofossil has said the bricks don't last so I still wonder whether it's worth getting the OEM stuff.

Tt

Status
Not open for further replies.