Changed out CAT the other day - What a difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
When originally getting the Ashley back into proper working order, I replaced the missing CATs with the CS200's from Clearskies. It seemed every time I would clean the stovepipe and check them they had quite a bit of fine ash build up and seem to almost be clogged. Very rarely could I even notice them glowing. So on my last trip to the big city I stopped by the stove store and picked up a set of Condars. Wow what a difference! A lot more control of the fire, much longer burn times, and higher cruising temp -about 1300-1400 (CAT temp) whereas the CS200's would cruise at 1000 or so and occasionally shoot up to the "critical mass" range for no apparent reason. I'd say Clearskies has a bit more tweaking to do on their newfangled combustors.

Good to hear. Was this the steel or ceramic cat?

Good question. I didn't ask the sales person. How would I tell the difference?

If it looked like this it was metal. ;-)

Attachments

• tinfoilhat.jpg
    tinfoilhat.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 225
  • tinfoilhat.jpg
    tinfoilhat.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 242
Status
Not open for further replies.